Board logo

Rear View Mirror
piddy - 22/4/08 at 05:05 PM

I used to have a Summit suction mirror until Detling. It hadn’t been very successful it would fall off on occasions. Well it fell off for the last time at Detling and smashed on the checker plate floor.
I decided to buy a replacement which was also a suction one but without the turning parts.
This turned out to be totally useless, the amount of force needed to get it stuck to the screen caused it to break, not the glass but the ball on the back of the mirror.

Feeling a bit lost without a centre rear view mirror and heading to Stoneleigh soon, I thought I would see what I have in the garage, I found a sierra mirror which I could use to get me to Stoneleigh and decide on a replacement.

While looking at it I thought, I wonder if one of the small Summit mirror would fit onto the Sierra ball/sticky base. I then separated the two; the Sierra ball is to big.

Now the problem how do you get the ball back into the socket? Is it possible without breaking the mirror?

Kriss - 22/4/08 at 05:17 PM

think you need to have a word with mr bicep. doubt you will do any damage

jollygreengiant - 22/4/08 at 06:15 PM

Its hard but it does go in with a really hard thrust.

Oh er missus

piddy - 22/4/08 at 06:55 PM

I've done it.
With the help of a vice,plank of wood and a block of wood.
It worked really well.
Easy when you know how

LBMEFM - 22/4/08 at 07:17 PM

On reflection mirrors can be a real problem.

RK - 22/4/08 at 10:47 PM

boom tish

zetec7 - 23/4/08 at 12:02 AM

A large ball pein hammer, vigorously applied, will usually attach things that need persuasion. After that, a broom and dustpan will help with the cleanup...