Board logo

Dashboard construction?
rumplitter - 1/5/08 at 11:07 AM

As many of you already know I'm in the process of building a space framed mini using a modified Sylva Mojo as a chassis.
I've recently been thinking about the dash construction.
My initial thoughts are to mold it out of foam and use fibreglass to construct the dash i desire.
The chassis dash rail is 25mm square steel
The mini front windscreen frame is curved
the image below will give you a better idea of what i mean.
suggestions on how to do it or other ideas would be appreciated! Rescued attachment dash.jpg
Rescued attachment dash.jpg

Mr Whippy - 1/5/08 at 11:12 AM

If you go to B&Q and to the house insulation section, you'll see packs of pink foam, I use this stuff for making model plane wings (I'm doing some doodles of a new plane now ). It carves like light balsa wood and sands very easily to a smooth finish, the panels are about 2in thick and several foot long. You can glue them together using dabs of epoxy. Once finished cover with some soft foam and vinyl. One pack should be more than enough for a mini's dash, about £12 a pack.

If it was me I'd go and get a sheet of cardboard, tape it onto that square bar. Then sit in the car and mark out where I'd like the dials and switches (so you can make sure you can see them, mind the SVA rules for pointy things...), do some stylish shape for dash profile and then transfer it to the foam. Pop it back in and carve it to your hearts content. You'll need a separate section on the top for the demister vents.

[Edited on 1/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

rumplitter - 1/5/08 at 11:31 AM

was going to use a heated windscreen

Mr Whippy - 1/5/08 at 11:50 AM

hmm a bare shell will be quite cold inside, I know as I stripped my cortina to just the dash and front seats and left the heater out. Prob was in the rain the side windows would fog up so I'd have to open the window wet and cold...

Here is how I'd do the foam on your car -

[Edited on 1/5/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment dash.JPG
Rescued attachment dash.JPG