Board logo

ideas for a foot rest (clutch)
02GF74 - 1/5/08 at 12:42 PM

Keeping my left foot hovering on long journeys is a bit tiresome so need to make a foot rest.

problem is I have large plates as well as limited footwell space; so angling for foot rest ideas.

what is the minimal size I can make it?

and what else should I be aware of hwen positioning it? like I do not want it to obstruct foot movement or scratch boots etc.

currenlty thinking along the lines of making a traingle from aluminum, about 20 mm wide and screwing it using self-tappers to the footwell.

ideas and piccies welcome.

blakep82 - 1/5/08 at 12:48 PM

well, i've go no picturres, and my car's very different, so i've got nothing i can draw on, but rather than a wide foot rest (like 4" wide or so, or whatever's normal) how about a thin strip, say 1-1/2 to 2" wide about 4" in front of the clutch?

enough to give your fot some support, but shouldn't get in the way of the clutch pedal.

maybe?

02GF74 - 1/5/08 at 12:53 PM

you mean nailed to the floor?

not sure that will work as it is the top of my foot I want supported not the heel, unless I misunderstand

blakep82 - 1/5/08 at 12:56 PM

screwed to the side of the tunnel

i'll see if i can do some kind of drawing lol

Humbug - 1/5/08 at 01:06 PM

I made one by cutting into the tunnel instead of intruding into the footwell space.

It's a bit messy looking 'cos I did it after the build with all the panels in place. It works OK, but I had to put it more or less level with the clutch pedal because there wouldn't have been enought room for my foot to pass by the pedal if I had put the rest further forward.

Hope that gives you some ideas

Simon

Info here

[Edited on 01.05.2008 by Humbug]

RazMan - 1/5/08 at 04:29 PM

I agree with Humbug - if you cut a 'bonnet scoop shape in reverse' into the side of the tunnel it won't take up any space at all. I have a similar problem in my Aeon where foot space is rather tight and I have to be very careful to wear the right shoes (size 10) or I just get my foot tangled up.