Board logo

Little people in Little cars??
owelly - 28/5/08 at 03:34 PM

My son loves to go for a ride in my plastic car. He's just had his third birthday so he can't quite reach the pedals to drive. I've only ever taken him for a trundle up the road as he has been sat on a couple of cushions and he can still slide under the harness if I brake too hard!!
However, I bought a cheapo child seat for £14 and it now looks like this....

He sits high enough to fit the harness correctly and to see out of the car. There is not enough room for him to slide under the harness. The child seat is a very snug fit in the Triton Wizzards Hat and it all seems to be a pretty good set-up.
Comments guys?
I'm not bothered if you think I'm a bad parent for even suggesting that I put my son at risk by putting him in a death trap, more a question of if you lot think it's an acceptable solution to keep my boy smiling. I'll not be taking the car for a thrash with it strapped to his back or booking us in for any trackdays.
Cheers, Owelly.

Guinness - 28/5/08 at 03:40 PM

Excellent. Perfectly acceptable IMHO.

I have Triton's Wizard Hat seats in mine too! Mark very kindly sent me a spare insert for the base of the passenger seat. I then cut a sheet of 3" thick polystyrene to shape, contoured it top and bottom, bonded it the the fibreglass, then stuck a 2" layer of foam to the top of that. Then I covered the whole thing in vinyl to match the other seat pads.

My little lad is 7 now and still loves going out in the car. As you've said it's not like I'd take him on the track in it!

It must be comfy as he's fallen asleep in the Indy, twice! Mind you both times it was on a motorway stretch where there wasn't much to do!

Go for it says I, another responsible parent.

Mike

NeilP - 28/5/08 at 03:40 PM

If you can find a way to secure the kiddie seat to the bucket then that would be no less safe than anything fitted in a modern production car. A 5th groin strap might be sensible just in case (fitted from the car to the buckle and back i.e. a simple loop)...

HTH...

Mr Whippy - 28/5/08 at 03:42 PM

Looks ok but I'm not totally convinced he could not 'submarine' under the harness as the cushion looks quite thick and will compress unlike you sitting in the glass fibre seat. I would prefer that the bottom cushion was quite hard foam or maybe it is already, can't tell..

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

matt_claydon - 28/5/08 at 03:48 PM

Looks great to me, almost a perfect fit.

I'm not that familiar with the new laws on child seats, I presume that one complies for a child of that age/size?

owelly - 28/5/08 at 03:48 PM

The whole child seat is made from hard expanded polystyrene. It's more likely that he would compress long before the seat base would!

Mr Whippy - 28/5/08 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
The whole child seat is made from hard expanded polystyrene. It's more likely that he would compress long before the seat base would!

Is anything actually restraining the seat? as if not then he will be in a crash, how much does it weigh? times it by at least 20 and then you can tell if it should be.

owelly - 28/5/08 at 04:02 PM

The seat is bolted through the floor to the chassis. The harness is attached to a stay bolted between the top suspension mounts at the top, and the chassis at the bottom. I'll make up a crotch strap to make sure Jnr and the seat base don't move.
Cheers folks!

Mr Whippy - 28/5/08 at 04:07 PM

ok I said the seat but I meant of course the foam booster seat...

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Howlor - 28/5/08 at 04:07 PM

Don't forget the cycle helmet and shades just in case a bumble bee decides it likes the look of him. Otherwise perfect solution.

pewe - 28/5/08 at 05:49 PM

Looking at your pic. do the lap-straps run over the edge of the seat? It would be preferable for them to come up the inside as I doubt you'll achieve sufficient tension to secure and retain him in the seat in the (hopefully unlikely) event of an accident.
Cheers, Pewe

eznfrank - 28/5/08 at 08:14 PM

I have no doubt what you've done is perfectly safe and I wouldn't have an issue with it myself but I wonder if the local plod might take a disliking to it?

owelly - 28/5/08 at 08:50 PM

Bollox to the BiB!!
I think I may cut slots in the side of the seat and run the lapbelt up the inside of the seat sides. That way I can get a good tight grip over his little legs.