Board logo

Headlight switches
orbital - 5/7/08 at 12:42 PM

Me again with another switch related question! No groaning at the back there!!

I've decided to remove my column stalks and replace everything with switches on the dash. Most things are pretty obvious, on-off-on toggle for indicators, momentary switch for horn etc, but what have people done where there side, dipped, full lights are concerned? I don't really want to have three switches just for the lights or I'll end up with dash like the shuttle cockpit.

I've found some off-A-A+B switches, but that means I would still need one more switch for my full beam is that right?

Cheers for your help,

Dave

adithorp - 5/7/08 at 02:33 PM

I used an off / A / A+B for side and head and an on-on as a switch over between dip and main beam.

adrian

orbital - 5/7/08 at 03:02 PM

Sorry to be dim Adrian, but how does the on/on bit work?

Cheers

Dave

adithorp - 5/7/08 at 03:19 PM

On/On has 3 terminals center one is feed in (+ve) and 2 output terminals either side of this. Switch one way connects +ve to one end terminal, switch the other way and it switches to the other end terminal.

I put the feed from the B terminal of the light switch into what would normally be the +ve terminal on the on/on (central terminal) then one outer terminal goes to dip and the other goes to main.

adrian

speedyxjs - 5/7/08 at 06:31 PM

Some modern cars/vans have a twisty knob like what you have for a heater/fan although might look out of place

RazMan - 5/7/08 at 07:17 PM

Or you could always use a relay

02GF74 - 5/7/08 at 08:52 PM

well without thinking too much about it (i.e. this vould be complete boll*cks)

one possibility is to use a 2 switched, one 3-way and one 2 way.

wired as below.
you losethe facility for a momentary flash of the main beam; SW 2 allowseither main or dipped headlamps on, not both. Rescued attachment dip.jpg
Rescued attachment dip.jpg

orbital - 5/7/08 at 09:49 PM

I can see this is going to be fun, I might just buy another column (mine was all cracked when I bought the car) and keep the stalks!! I hate knowing nowt about car electrics!!

Cheers

Dave

[Edited on 093131p://5815 by orbital]

tomblyth - 8/7/08 at 09:23 AM

you should keep the side lights on when the mains on as it powers the rear lights