Board logo

Headlinings....
tegwin - 12/9/08 at 08:26 AM

Offtopic, but...

The plastic suspended headliner in the TVR is a bit minging.....Cracked and just not nice...

So, I want to replace the headliner with something a bit softer...

Woolies sell some really nice soft nylon stretchy headlining type stuff as fitted to modern cars....

However, I dont think I am going to be able to re-create the suspended headliner....it would be a total mission...and would end up looking like the dogs dinner....

Can anyone see any problems with simply gluing the headliner material straight onto the inside of the fibreglass roof?

Am I going to have issues with condensation etc?

Mr Whippy - 12/9/08 at 08:34 AM

I think your best bet is to get some thin soft foam, say 1cm thick, use spray adhesive to glue that on to the roof as the GRP may be quite a ruff finish on the underside depending on how they did it. Then again spray the foam with an even coat of adhesive, then glue felt onto the underside of that using a large soft wool paint roller rather than your hands. Think that would work well. Why not do a few test samples, say a foot square just to get the hang of it.

You could possibly make a replacement for the plastic liner. I did this for an old beetle I did years ago to replace the fabric one. I used the top of the roof as the mould, you could use the old plastic liner. All I did was simply cover the top of the roof in clingfilm, then lay up news paper that had been soaked in white glue (the water proof type) must have been about 5 layers. When it had dried a couple of days later it just lifted off and was a very strong and exactly the right shape, I then covered it the same way as I said above and it was just as good as anything from a factory. Dead easy really.

[Edited on 12/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

tegwin - 12/9/08 at 08:45 AM

Thats a good idea

The headliner is already slightly squishy, but some foam underneath would be a good idea...would also allow me to build up a bit of depth around the roof window...(AKA leaking orrifice in the roof!)

DarrenW - 12/9/08 at 10:06 AM

I made a new headliner for my old Mk1 Golf. Took the original vinyl one out. Used it as a template. Grandmother sewed new one up for me. Fitted back using the original wires and then i just carefully refitted around windows etc (that were all out for the respray).

Used some foam backed material. Looked great.

Mr Whippy - 12/9/08 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I made a new headliner for my old Mk1 Golf. Took the original vinyl one out. Used it as a template. Grandmother sewed new one up for me. Fitted back using the original wires and then i just carefully refitted around windows etc (that were all out for the respray).

Used some foam backed material. Looked great.

no you just said your gran made it for you! was it like a knitted jumper

grazzledazzle - 12/9/08 at 02:03 PM

Use proper headlining board, you will get a much better result.
Trim shops sell it, or check ebay. Use the thinnest you can get away with to stop it sagging under weight.