Board logo

Interior panels or not?
big_wasa - 17/9/08 at 04:09 PM

Interior panels or not?

What’s your opinion, do I need to panel the insides of the side panels?

With alloy sheets costing me £47 ago for 18swg I wasn’t going to bother, but will if it makes a difference.

cheers

Stott - 17/9/08 at 04:19 PM

Strikers are like yours is now, and IMHO look great, all down to personal preference I think (as long as you have nothing attatched to the sides that will contravene the radiusing rules)

all the best,
Stott

pewe - 17/9/08 at 04:24 PM

No mention on the naked interior on my SVA so guess it's OK.
Cheers, Pewe

bassett - 17/9/08 at 04:30 PM

Im doing mine with black carbon effect plastic and its hassel to do but looks really good when its all in there.
Adam

oldtimer - 17/9/08 at 04:32 PM

Do you mean a difference in terms of stiffness??

Humbug - 17/9/08 at 04:41 PM

"Need" for SVA? As above, no as long as the radiuses are OK

"Need" for strength? I wouldn't think so as racing versions don't have much trim

"Need" for the way it looks? Up to you.

I went for no interior panelling and stuck blue camping mat foam directly onto the inside of the outer panels in the gaps between the square tubes.

Absolutely no comment at SVA and I have found it fine in use.

Cheers,

Simon

big_wasa - 17/9/08 at 05:04 PM

"but will if it makes a difference"

I mean driving experiance with banging your knees on the side tubes ect.

I dont think I will get away with the bare ally on the transmision tunnel due to the edges.

cheers

nib1980 - 17/9/08 at 05:24 PM

I lined mine with a very thinn plywood and coverd them with carpet, no heavier than the alloy, cheaper, and it doesn't get red hot on a sunny day, but all down to your choice really.

martin1973 - 17/9/08 at 06:07 PM

i lined mine using alli
more comfortable, easy to keep clean
covered mine in black vinal from boyes cheep as chips
did my tunnel to.

COREdevelopments - 17/9/08 at 07:09 PM

i used foamex. its a very light thin plastic.
think it cost about 30qiud for 8x4 sheet.

rob

jake_truck - 17/9/08 at 07:11 PM

Another way is to fit interior panels, such as carbon effect behind the chassis, sort of up against the exterior panels. That way you hide the bare fibreglass and still see the chassis. If that makes sense!

John

coozer - 17/9/08 at 09:05 PM

Having been rebuilding my car I took the opportunity to rivet black carbon affect plastic on the outside of the chassis exposing the tubes and it looks ace!

DarrenW - 17/9/08 at 09:38 PM

Didnt fit them on mine. Looks OK. Black plastic panels also look good.

wicket - 17/9/08 at 10:56 PM

Covered mine with black Correx sheet attached with double sided carpet tape, see photo archive picture, '4cockpit1.jpg'

http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co.uk/polypropylene-correx-fluted-polypropylene-c-68_696.html

RK - 18/9/08 at 02:21 AM

Me? No, but I vinyled the inside of the ally outside panel. May end up with some sort of padding where the knees will hit.

smart51 - 18/9/08 at 09:51 AM

3mm thick plastic panels will weigh about 4.5 kg the pair. Do you want that excess weight?

I have them on my car and it makes it look more finished.

big_wasa - 19/9/08 at 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys I will keep pondering.....

zetec - 21/9/08 at 06:52 AM

I made up some panels which just pop in between the chassis tubes. Used some thin ply covered in the same material as dash etc. If you make them a snug fit they stay in place and can be taken out to clean/replace/go racing.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=3DSCF0048.JPG

[Edited on 21/9/08 by zetec]