Board logo

Alacantara sued dashboard and pannels?
tegwin - 30/9/08 at 08:09 PM

Has anyone ever tried to use Alacantara feux suede stuff to cover dashboard and panels etc?

I'm tempted to use it instead of vinyl for a slightly different look...

But not sure how easy it will be to work with...

Can it be stretched and glued in much the same way as vinyl can, or is it going to require more thought with stitched seams etc?

The interior could look like these:

I think I am going to go for all black, but dont really want shiny looking vinyl....matt vinyl would look nice, or perhaps alacatnara..

Thoughts?

----------------

Found an example of a suede dashboard..

[Edited on 30/9/08 by tegwin]

Hammerhead - 30/9/08 at 08:18 PM

I'm using alcantara, it can't be stretched like vinyl. But can be glued with spray glue or contact adhesive.
Just got myself 3m of black.

scoop - 30/9/08 at 08:28 PM

Ive covered my dash in a grey alcantara to match my Elise seats. Im told it wears very well and defo looks better than a lot of vinyls. Cant beat carbon though.

tegwin - 30/9/08 at 08:57 PM

Hammerhead where did you get yours from?...Think I need to find a piece and see if it will do what I want....

Triton - 30/9/08 at 09:10 PM

Damn expensive that stuff, looking to buy a sample to cover one of our seats but so far looking at £140 worth for one seat...

tegwin - 30/9/08 at 09:16 PM

Are you looking at buying real Suede, or Alactantra?

Woolies do it at £30/meter....and some curtain fabric suppliers sell it for less...although im not sure what the quality of that is like...

Or failing the Alacantra...where can I get non patterend black vinyl like in that picture with the black dash? it looks so much crisper without the fake leather print on it

[Edited on 30/9/08 by tegwin]

wicket - 30/9/08 at 10:28 PM

Some on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Alcantara-Fabric-Dark-Grey_W0QQitemZ350103137660QQihZ022QQcategoryZ83926QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

grazzledazzle - 1/10/08 at 08:32 AM

I just won this on ebay, as if i haven't got enough to do!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140269833621

Will let you know how i get on.

Hammerhead - 1/10/08 at 09:00 AM

I can get it for a good price because i'm in the upholstery trade. Tegwin I can send you an offcut if you don't mind waiting until I cut my panels out.

Triton you can get alcantara type fabric a lot cheaper than you have found. Alcantara is a brand name like hoover, you can get alcantara type fabrics a lot cheaper that are treated to crib 5 fire retardency levels. Surely you only need a couple of metres for a pair of seats should be in the region of £40 for the cloth.

Hope that helps.

grazzledazzle - 1/10/08 at 09:03 AM

Also triton (sorry about the hijack thread) if you can trim me some seats in nice charcoal alcantara you've got a sale!