Board logo

Way OT! My house(s?) for sale £60k reduction!
owelly - 12/10/09 at 03:34 PM

I recently posted-up my house and annex for sale. I almost had several folks asking for details. Most admitted to being nothing more than nosey but whatever, here's the latest.....

Last year I decided to convert my thre storey garage into a house. The plan was to sell the current house and the newly converted property and buy a little farm. We asked around and had a lot of interest but the majority of folks we spoke to thought that the garage would make a good studio, workshop or whatever as an alternative to converting it into a two/three bedroom house. So we stripped the building, put a new concrete floor in, a blockwall inside, a new 1st floor, new staircase, an kitchen sized extension and plopped a complete new roof on. Just as we putting the ridge stones on, the housing market shat itself.....

The value before the £20k worth of work was £300k with an afterwork estimate of £350-£370k!!

We put the properties on the market earlier this year at £310k. This was for our current three bedroomed house and the renovated shell of the conversion with all permissions to finish as a two/three bedroomed house, workshop, studio, pair of flats, whatever.....
We havn't had a single enquirey. Not even a nosey neighbour!!

We sold a holiday cottage last year and as a two bedroomed cottage, it averaged £290 a week throughout the year. If the converted garage was completed as a two bed holiday let (my builder has quoted £15-20k for a turnkey finished job depending on spec), then surely this would cover the cost of a mortgage to buy both houses!!

So if anyone wants to move to the seaside, collect cash from the guests on a Saturday morning and spend the rest of the week on the pub next door knowing that the mortgage is paid for, get in touch!!!

We've seen a property we'd like to buy so we've dropped £60k off the price!! Two* houses in Whitby for £250k**!

*Two houses once the barn is converted.
**£250k for the houses in their current state.

And some piccies...

So if you're interested, let me know, or ask around to see if you have any chums with £250k down the back of the sofa...
Cheers, Owelly.

eznfrank - 12/10/09 at 03:50 PM

I'll send this onto my dad. I reckon he might be interested, no promises obviously, but on the face of it looks like the kind of thing he's looking for.

owelly - 12/10/09 at 04:29 PM

Cheers. There's a few pints in it for anyone who can find us a buyer!!
The reason for the big reduction is because there is a property that has just come on the market that we'd like to buy. If we miss this, the price will be going back up!! Not quite up to £310k though. I'll stand by the £250k for any Locostbuilders. Gosh, I'm generous!
The details are also here: http://media.rightmove.co.uk/11k/10599/10599_Atlascottage_DOC_00_0000.pdf

rossymond - 12/10/09 at 04:54 PM

What a lovely house!

Good luck with the sale

russbost - 12/10/09 at 05:12 PM

Geez - why the heck do I live down here!!!

owelly - 12/10/09 at 05:15 PM

Now could be the time to move................

speedyxjs - 12/10/09 at 06:08 PM

Wish i could move, and had the money.

Good luck with it

StevieB - 12/10/09 at 06:22 PM

Only this week we've been saying that we need more space in both house and garage/workshop...

Spot on price too...

But business isn't good right now

However, it's right up my father in laws street so I'll pass it on.

owelly - 12/10/09 at 06:35 PM

Cheers. I'd rather sell to someone I 'know' as it really is a proper little earner!!
Steve, your father in laws lives up my street? I'll lookout for him......

scootz - 12/10/09 at 06:40 PM

Would you consider swapping for my Blackbird engine?

PS - Lovely house!

StevieB - 12/10/09 at 06:40 PM

No, but close by - he lives in.....

Aah, I see what you've done there, very funny

owelly - 12/10/09 at 07:18 PM

Scootz, I'll swap as long as your Blackbird engine has four bedrooms, 20 acres and enough barns to hide a squadron of Lancasters....

JoelP - 12/10/09 at 08:36 PM

nevermind the houses wellyboot, did you sell the jeep?

owelly - 12/10/09 at 09:00 PM

Jeep gone. It was on Ebay for one day and a couple turned up with £6500 in cash.......which was nice!

JoelP - 12/10/09 at 09:33 PM

ah well. Saw a 51 plate go through the auction for £4k tonight... top spec, but made me think yours was a bit of a bargain!

owelly - 13/10/09 at 08:09 AM

Tis always the same. A guy at work walked passed it everyday with a FOR SALE sign in the window and when it sold decided that he would have bought it!!

So, just the house to sell...

scootz - 13/10/09 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Scootz, I'll swap as long as your Blackbird engine has four bedrooms, 20 acres and enough barns to hide a squadron of Lancasters....

Bugger... was ticking all the right boxes there and then realized you also wanted 20 acres... the Blackbird only has 19.

owelly - 13/10/09 at 07:53 PM

So close, yet so far.......

owelly - 14/10/09 at 06:58 PM

BUMPO!!
Come on! Someone must have 1/4 million quid sat in the bank earning not much interest!!

owelly - 16/10/09 at 10:20 PM

Gloomy gloom....
The estate agents selling the property we were hoping to buy need the best and final offers in by next Friday. Unless we can find a buyer for ours, we'll miss it....

Oh, BUMP!

hillbillyracer - 17/10/09 at 07:21 AM

Well I'll have it no bother, all I ask is it to be moved over to the Brampton area of Cumbria & drop another 100thou...

Good luck with the sale!

owelly - 17/10/09 at 08:47 AM

OK matey. I'll start numbering the stonework.....

JoelP - 17/10/09 at 03:47 PM

Have you considered any of the money grabbing bastards at AQS or similar? They would make a dismal offer no doubt, but maybe worth a look.

http://www.a-quick-sale.co.uk/

owelly - 17/10/09 at 08:38 PM

I did consider those thieving shits but a guy I work with was trying to shift his house after a divorce last year. He'd had it valued at £345k. They offered him £170k and that was after he'd paid them £250 for a valuation!!!

JoelP - 17/10/09 at 09:08 PM

maybe not then

owelly - 27/10/09 at 11:39 AM

Bump, before I forget I'm suposed to be selling the house......

wilkingj - 27/10/09 at 01:35 PM

Hmmm Looks very enticing..

However... WHITBY!!!

I am not sure that I would want to have to wear the obligatory Flat Cap and take a Ferret for a daily walk:

Good luck with the sale, as it looks good.

Cheers

owelly - 27/10/09 at 10:03 PM

and don't forget the diet of mushy peas...

owelly - 11/2/10 at 10:07 PM

Sold! Subject to survey for the asking price. Which is nice!

carpmart - 12/2/10 at 08:40 AM

Good for you!

Is it a locostbuilder buying it?

[Edited on 12/2/10 by carpmart]

eddie99 - 12/2/10 at 09:01 AM

Glad to hear it, is the house that you saw a while back still available for you?

owelly - 12/2/10 at 09:20 PM

The couple that are buying it are from Essex and wouldn't know a Locost if it ran them over........
The three properties I was after have all been and gone so we'll be homeless. Wealthy, but homeless!

JoelP - 12/2/10 at 09:22 PM

i have a lovely s**thole in bolton you could move into owelly?