Board logo

The easy way to get Sikaflex off your hands....knees, ears, anywhere really!!
eznfrank - 14/6/09 at 02:15 PM

My dad bought me a big tub of Everbuild Wonder Wipes for using in the garage, they get pretty much everything off your hands even Sikaflex as I found out today. Really weird stuff, it literally just wipes it off with hardly any scrubbing or anything!! Works on pretty much anything apart from glass, makes a right smear.

theconrodkid - 14/6/09 at 02:33 PM

i just use thinners and let the rest wear off

Peteff - 14/6/09 at 04:57 PM

Baby wipes are great for getting stuff off, they shift everything I've come across so far. We just get the standard ones from Aldi, great for when you're camping as well

twybrow - 14/6/09 at 06:28 PM

White spirit - it works miracles! Once it is dry (on you hands/knees etc) then it is much more difficult to get off!

mangogrooveworkshop - 14/6/09 at 07:51 PM

We had a brand called Red Box that we got from stores at work. Pretty much moved all the muck of your hands with out a fuss.....
It was the fact that some guy had a bad reaction to them so they stopped suppling us. Thing is they never found anything to replace it.

Danozeman - 14/6/09 at 08:29 PM

The red box wipes are very good. Also i got some for christmas one year from the inlaws that came from marks and spencer in there bloke type presents bit. They were bloody good. Random present but hey.

martyn_16v - 14/6/09 at 08:47 PM

Brake cleaner. Somehow manages to strip anything off anything else, without damaging the bit you're trying to clean. Damn clever stuff

Someone's going to pipe up now and tell me that me cleaning my hands in brake cleaner is a damn stupid idea and my legs are going to fall off...

Land Locked - 15/6/09 at 04:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Brake cleaner.........
Someone's going to pipe up now and tell me that me cleaning my hands in brake cleaner is a damn stupid idea and my legs are going to fall off...

Okay, I'll oblige even though I don't agree...

Your legs are going to fall off!

When I say I don't agree, I think brake cleaner is awesome stuff.

wilkingj - 15/6/09 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i just use thinners and let the rest wear off

This is not really the best way to do it.

Thinners are absorbed through the skin, and can do nerve damage. Same goes for Brake cleaner.

I use both, but now take precautions to cover any exposed skin.

Having had my nervous system attacked before (total paralysis and then 6 months learning to walk again) I do not want to go there again.

Please use the proper cleaning agents that will not damage your body if you use them long term.

DarrenW - 16/6/09 at 10:54 AM

Those tube of wonder wipes (several trade names available) really are fantastic. I always have some in now. I first got them when fitting kitchen worktops. Sealed the sink in place with silicon, those wipes are the best for cleaning the excess off. As said, also great for other cleaning jobs. I never thought to try them with PU adhesive - good suggestion.

Ninehigh - 17/6/09 at 02:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Having had my nervous system attacked before (total paralysis and then 6 months learning to walk again) I do not want to go there again.

Seriously washing your hands in brake cleaner paralysed you?

quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v

I was going to say it gives you cancer but imo paralysis is worse..