Board logo

Garage Floor covering
yellow melos - 17/11/09 at 01:39 PM

Whats the best stuff to use on a garage floor, needs to water and oil proof.

and of course where is the best place to get some.

Cheers in advance Chaps

nib1980 - 17/11/09 at 01:58 PM

I use Carpet, and when I spill some i cut it out and replace with a new tile, pluis it's easier on my knees

flak monkey - 17/11/09 at 02:03 PM

Leyland floor paint

About £30 for 5 litres

40inches - 17/11/09 at 02:36 PM

Used Wickes Garage floor paint 6years ago, still cleans up niceley and no bare patches, plus, you can actually see what it looks like by going into a Wickes store, and looking down

pdm - 17/11/09 at 03:26 PM

Not exactly locost but I did mine 4 months ago in 2 pack epoxy from firwood.co.uk - it took an absolute age to clean the floor (which was 8 years old) to get it ready but painting it on was easy.

I've just stripped down an engine on it over last 3 months so it has had all sorts of knocks, oil, dirty rusty water, tools dropped on it, engine bits pulled around on it.

Decided I would clean it all up before I start re-assembling (and felt a bit slack for not tidying before !!) so mopped it a couple of weekends ago with water and a small amount of household floor cleaner. I then let it dry off and swept it with a brush and it now looks as good as the day I finished it.

Amazing stuff.

RickRick - 17/11/09 at 04:36 PM

i've got the clip together foam mat things that are sold on ebay like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-PCE-INTERLOCKING-RUBBER-FLOOR-MAT-GYM-GARAGE-WORKSHOP_W0QQitemZ330376741969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_SleepingMats_Ai rbeds_CA?hash=item4cebfd0451 I've not looked if this listing is cheap or not, just for the idea. i've built my car on it, and had the car parked on it for a year now, it's squashed down a little were the car stops, and has a couple of small holes poked in it here and there, but it's still very much in one piece, easy to clean, easy to replace one tile if it's wrecked, and definatly easy on the knees

JeffHs - 17/11/09 at 05:48 PM

Carpet as long as its pure wool. Soaks up oil doesn't catch fire when welding. Everytime we have a new carpet the old one goes in the garage and the oily one goes to the tip,

maartenromijn - 17/11/09 at 07:28 PM

If you have a concrete floor, why would you want to cover it? Who cares about an oil stain?
Maybe for the dust. Then use cheap transparent paint?

mediabloke - 17/11/09 at 08:44 PM

No question. Having tried to remove the evidence of brake fluid from painted concrete, it has to be ceramic floor tiles: floor repair kit = brush, shovel and wet mop. Shimples!

yellow melos - 18/11/09 at 08:51 AM

Cheers people.

2 reasons why i need to do this...

1. the concrete has started to break up
2. its very dusty

it has covering on there at the moment which has been on there for nearly 20 yeas... so it aint done too bad !!