Board logo

antivirus online
AndyW - 10/12/09 at 04:47 PM

I am on work comp at mo as home pc is dying. Was on internet and useing avast anti virus, as always found it ok. Suddenly got a programme called antivirus online telling me pc infected and trying to scan, saying evaluation copy and to pay to remove virus. I now cannot get into any progrmme or file so shut down. Fired up again and all I have running is this prog called antivirus online which I have never installed. Now in safe mode running a system restore. Should this get rid of this strange thing? Its an old dell desk top and any advise on how to get into my files so I can copy onto stand along hard drive as dont want to loose all my pictures and vids of my kids.......HELP PLEASE

yellow melos - 10/12/09 at 05:09 PM

Spyware !!!!

goto www.spybot.de and download spybot search and destroy... update and reboot in safe mode... run spybot and fix all the errors..

Job done..

i suspect you do not have any viruses

bloody spyware is a nightmare

Ben_Copeland - 10/12/09 at 05:09 PM

Have a read of this forum page...

Should aid you in removing.

maxey74 - 10/12/09 at 05:12 PM

System restore may fix, although some manage to get in and infect your restore points as well. Copy files to CD/DVD as soon as possible, pictures and video's don't really contain viruses/malware etc. so you can do this safely.

As for fixing spy/mal/scareware... The usual progs may work -

spybot search and destroy
adaware
malware bytes

(all free)

when (if) you get rid of it I'd recommend running 'spywareblaster' from javacool... Update it and enable all protection, this will 'harden' your browser(s) to make it more difficult for this kind of crap to get in. No doubt some activex control that did the dirty... use firefox or google chrome instead of IE.

Ben_Copeland - 10/12/09 at 05:32 PM

I run Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials (virus protector)

All free, all small and dont slow computer down.

Never had any problems since running them

gottabedone - 10/12/09 at 05:35 PM

give this a whirl

Steve

AndyW - 10/12/09 at 10:16 PM

Thanks for all the reply's all sorted now. Nice one!!!!

yellow melos - 10/12/09 at 10:27 PM

what did you use to get rid of it in the end ???

just out of interest

locostbuyer83 - 10/12/09 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yellow melos
what did you use to get rid of it in the end ???

just out of interest

lol this keeps me in business, everyone gets that bloody crap

yellow melos - 11/12/09 at 08:05 AM

Yeah, had to fix the same problem on a customers PC.

that had been using file sharing programs and installing smiley toolbars.

i would rather not have to keep fixing these problems to be honest... can be very time consuming sometimes