Board logo

EDIS or Coil Drivers
flak monkey - 16/4/09 at 09:25 AM

What would you do in my situation?

3 weeks to stoneleigh and it looks like i need to change over to megasquirt controlled spark as well.

My ecu already has coil drivers built in, so all i need to do is configure the input circuit correctly for the VR sensor and I should be away. Only issue here is the potential for the VB921's to go pop and they are now obsolete and its a more involved set up.

Or do I rebuild the ecu to work with the edis module and have the reliability of that, but the complications of modding the ECU?

I essentially have or am close to having all the parts I need to go down either route.

Choices, choices!

David

cd.thomson - 16/4/09 at 09:29 AM

I put EDIS as the only real hurdle is rebuilding the MS but you're basically only doing it following the standard circuit diagrams, its not like youre having to redesign the thing .

Plus considering the other things I've seen you do on this forum Flak it should be a piece of cake

omega0684 - 16/4/09 at 09:52 AM

rip it all out and buy some carbs!

Benzine - 16/4/09 at 09:54 AM

I sent my MS unit off to diyefi.co.uk to be modded for EDIS. Took 2 days including postage and about £18. I wouldn't have known where to begin

02GF74 - 16/4/09 at 10:00 AM

I'd go with coil drivers; if they go pop, you can get equivlalent part, (going by the other post).

you still not sorted the igntion problem then?

Agriv8 - 16/4/09 at 10:13 AM

no experience on MS but My vems uses fet coil drivers.

I have blown one ' My error' and soldered a new one in why make it dificlt by adding an extra peice of hardware.

Regards

Iain

flak monkey - 16/4/09 at 12:05 PM

Thanks chaps, still not convinced either way yet though!

James - 16/4/09 at 01:13 PM

Calvin was really good with MS and had built a lot of kits for people.

I'm pretty sure he always went the coil driver route.

What about modding the board so they are a 'plug-in' module and therefore easily replaced?

Cheers,
James

flak monkey - 16/4/09 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Calvin was really good with MS and had built a lot of kits for people.

I'm pretty sure he always went the coil driver route.

What about modding the board so they are a 'plug-in' module and therefore easily replaced?

Cheers,
James

Hi James,

I like the replaceable module idea! Could be quite easy to do, and you would be able to give them a much better heat sink too....

Hmmm

I'll have a chat with Mark later if he is online, I do recall him building a few.

Cheers,
David

Jenko - 16/4/09 at 02:17 PM

EDIS, EDIS, EDIS......Cheap, VERY reliable proven technology and used on millions of cars. Neat, and you have LIMP HOME should anything go wrong.....

Only hurdle is doing the mods, but if you follow the MS instructions it's easy.....

TRY IT.......You can always revert back.

tim windmill - 18/4/09 at 07:40 PM

EDIS every time for me having had coil drivers fail in the past

flak monkey - 18/4/09 at 07:47 PM

Got a pair of BIP393 coil drivers to swap for the VB921's.

Are those people who had drivers failed the old VB921s or the new BIP393s?