Board logo

Is it just me ????
britishtrident - 29/12/09 at 09:08 PM

I have been looking into modifying the mapping of tintop petrol ecu's with a view to altering the ignition map to make better use of higher octane fuel, and as a result have been loitering in some of the forums on the internet that deal specifically with tintop ECU electronics.

Most car and electronic forums are pretty friendly places where help is freely given and nothing looked for in return but looking at archived post in some of the car ecu forums the geeks that inhabit those forums are the exception. One in particular was like some sort of secret society ruled over by a moderator who was down right nasty to any newcomer.

[Edited on 29/12/09 by britishtrident]

JoelP - 29/12/09 at 09:09 PM

it was probably just a front for a taliban website.

speedyxjs - 29/12/09 at 09:10 PM

Just shows what a greeat forum this is

02GF74 - 29/12/09 at 09:15 PM

possibly, but then again possibly not.

IK've found that the peeps on electronics fora tend not to be sympathatic to those asking simplistic questions.

zilspeed - 29/12/09 at 09:47 PM

ECU tuning seems to provoke a certain response towards newcomers.
"Look, collectively, we've discussed alllll of this before. If you read through the archives, your answer will be in there somewhere."

Yes, the answer may be there, but how big is your archive, and how long have you been hanging around ?

That's my findings anyway.
It's unusual for someone to give a straight answer or some clues.

mrwibble - 29/12/09 at 10:14 PM

i say old been pass the cavier, more brandy anyone?

luke - 29/12/09 at 10:18 PM

I used to be on a certain tintop forum where the forging of friendship groups was quite common, if you weren't part of one of these groups you were treated as a nobody, even if you had been on the forum a lot longer, as my use got less and less I found a lot happened in pointless threads and if you missed this you became very disconnected from the forum.

Never go on there anymore, even if I need something.

boggle - 29/12/09 at 10:46 PM

sounds like the subaru impreza drivers club......you gotta be in the cliche or you bolloxed...

MikeRJ - 29/12/09 at 11:34 PM

Not just you, the internet is a breeding ground for elitism.

ReMan - 30/12/09 at 12:40 AM

No it's not just you.
But in case it is not known, this is an EXCEPTIONALLY forgiving forum.
And whilst it still irritates me when a little when a complete noob posts " which is the best bike engine to use in my car and where can I get a very long chain from?" the level of patience here is commendable.
But it can lead to a false sense of security when posting elsewhere, as has been described, unless you are already "expert" in the field, you are a moron no less

Steve Hignett - 30/12/09 at 03:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
No it's not just you.
But in case it is not known, this is an EXCEPTIONALLY forgiving forum.
And whilst it still irritates me when a little when a complete noob posts " which is the best bike engine to use in my car and where can I get a very long chain from?" the level of patience here is commendable.
But it can lead to a false sense of security when posting elsewhere, as has been described, unless you are already "expert" in the field, you are a moron no less

I'd agree, but the level of "Do a Search for Quintin's sake" responses are quite few and far between, mainly I believe because the search option is a bit toss...

But I'd love to say it, because that was the response that I occasionally receieved when I first joined this forum (under my child's name), and I feel I should pass on my knowledge of how to gleam responses and answers in a similar manner akin to how someone teaches a child/adolescent...

RK - 30/12/09 at 04:36 AM

I heard car engined cars were better than bike engined cars. Is this true?

Richard Quinn - 30/12/09 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
This is the internet! You'd be well advised not to always believe what you hear

r1_pete - 30/12/09 at 09:36 AM

Didn't Practical Performance Car run a series of features on re-mapping ECU's? It was about 18 months ago but I definately remember reading it, it also advised on the software side of things too.

But I do agree, help and advice is what these forums are all about, and a bit of fun, we all started at the same place once, and knew nothing, so subjects are bound to get re-visited....

turboben - 30/12/09 at 09:41 AM

I was interested in ecu remapping for my 406 hdi. But like you say the websites are so unhelpful and cryptic I gave up. I think the people with knowledge are making a living from selling remaps...

snapper - 30/12/09 at 10:08 AM

Whilst you can fiddle with a map a bit as most manufactures maps are in the very safe area, to get the best out of higher octane fuel you need compression.

yellow melos - 30/12/09 at 10:11 AM

not you sir.

it seems that any gathering where there is a specific model/type that these groups are interested you find mostly hard core people that can not see past anything else. these groups are full of very clicky people that do not like new comers and normally shun anyone else i have inly a slight interest in the subject.

speaking to many car owners of different type you tend to hear the same thing.. went to a Dutton owners club meet once.... and that was the last... very strange how people do not want to know about anything else.

in fact ( may have been on here ) that a person had a westfield with a non rover engine went to a pub meet and basically got told that if he does not go they will smash his car up.

some examples.. Volvo club... MGB's club.. cobra club...

thats why it better to stick with a general club rather than a specific club. people a re a lot more open to some thing different.

now you take your ecu and put stick it... we are only interested in points here as ECU's are the devil

Angel Acevedo - 30/12/09 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK

IŽd think so, how many tintops you see with bike engines?

Running for bomb shelter....

britishtrident - 30/12/09 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Whilst you can fiddle with a map a bit as most manufactures maps are in the very safe area, to get the best out of higher octane fuel you need compression.

The re-mapping to make better use of LPG to partly compensate for 15% power loss on when running on LPG -- a big car with a relatively small engine needs all the help it get.
LPG sold in the UK is approx 108 octane.
At the moment I can get a little extra ignition advance by using a change over relay to switch in a series resistor into the inlet air temperature sensor when running on gas it only gives a couple of horse power but the improvement can be felt in mid range.
On Rover engines the IAT input to the ECU only really alters ignition advance.

[Edited on 30/12/09 by britishtrident]

beagley - 30/12/09 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Just shows what a greeat forum this is

Amen to that! I've posted some SERIOUS newb questions when I first joined. I appreciate you guys not jumping down my throat about it too. I've enjoyed and learned a lot from reading through the archives and this is by far the best forum I have been on.

So thanks everyone for not being a bunch of buttheads.

Beags