Board logo

Heated windscreen Jets
HOL - 15/10/09 at 07:49 AM

Not for the Seven obviously, but what cars over 5 years old come with heated squirter jets??

Last winter my commter car suffered badly from blocked/frozen jets, and I wanted to sort something before it got too cold.

Thanks

Gazeddy - 15/10/09 at 07:53 AM

05 on focus has them don't get em from a scrappy they had a flaw in some early ones and they leaked. They aren't expensive tho

carpmart - 15/10/09 at 07:53 AM

My E39 530 has them!

Mr Whippy - 15/10/09 at 07:55 AM

Simply coil the screenwash hose round the heater hose, then wrap that in tin foil followed by black tape, some manufactures have a heat exchanger that does the same thing but coiling it round about 8-10 works wonders. I think one of our Cavaliers had one fitted as standard.

tomgregory2000 - 15/10/09 at 08:01 AM

mk2 golf

britishtrident - 15/10/09 at 08:11 AM

Most manufacturers only fit them to the top trim options of a range. Normally wired into the heated mirror circuit.

Rover 75 pair jets new £8.95 ebay item 350258084989 -- needs a rectangular hole in the bonnet

[Edited on 15/10/09 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 15/10/09 by britishtrident]

tegwin - 15/10/09 at 08:15 AM

2001 Polo GTI has heated jets...but they are quite odd hidden ones...

Liam - 15/10/09 at 08:51 AM

My vaux omega has them. Think they were standard accross the whole range.

Toprivetguns - 15/10/09 at 08:52 AM

I usually buy cheap vodka from Tesco's and add to my concentrate. Saves time and hassle.

Mr Whippy - 15/10/09 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
I usually buy cheap vodka from Tesco's and add to my concentrate. Saves time and hassle.

“Good evening Sir, I smell alcohol…would you please blow into this”

gavin174 - 15/10/09 at 08:59 AM

an old rally trick was to coil a length of brake pipe round one of the big radiator hoses and put the flexi tube on either end....

as soon as the water in cooling system heats up it heats the water in the washer jets..

HOL - 15/10/09 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Simply coil the screenwash hose round the heater hose, then wrap that in tin foil followed by black tape, some manufactures have a heat exchanger that does the same thing but coiling it round about 8-10 works wonders. I think one of our Cavaliers had one fitted as standard.

I see you are old Skool.

I actually have that mod already . I rememebr it from a top tip in Fast Car (when they tuned cars and didn't but stereos in them)

But, last year I still had a 10minute wait on a couple of day where the external temps were so bad, the water was still freezing.

Liam - 15/10/09 at 11:40 AM

All good in theory, but surely by the time the engine has heated up your heater would have cleared your windscreen anyway? And if you were going to wait that long before setting off you may as well have just gotten the scraper out.

Liam

blakep82 - 15/10/09 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns

“Good evening Sir, I smell alcohol…would you please blow into this”

are you sure that was a real copper that said that to you? and did you properly see the breathaliser? are you sure it was a real one?

blakep82 - 15/10/09 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
All good in theory, but surely by the time the engine has heated up your heater would have cleared your windscreen anyway? And if you were going to wait that long before setting off you may as well have just gotten the scraper out.

Liam

more for the road salt that gets splatters all over the window, and when you try to wash it off on the motorway, the jets are frozen and the wipers just smear salt and make it even worse

speedyxjs - 15/10/09 at 12:14 PM

Jag XJ (97 in my case)

HOL - 15/10/09 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

Liam

more for the road salt that gets splatters all over the window, and when you try to wash it off on the motorway, the jets are frozen and the wipers just smear salt and make it even worse

Precisely,

I leave home with a clear screen but my commute includes 35miles of M25 and M20.

britishtrident - 15/10/09 at 03:18 PM

I upgraded to heated washer jets a couple of months back in preparation for the winter ---- wiring ended up more invovled that expected as Rover had deleted the official connection plug in the loom.

My major mod this winter is an engine pre-heater, I am going to try a 12v 80watt sump heater pad, I did consider a 240v coolant heater with pump but don't fancy the 240v bit on a snowy day ! .

I have already fitted a 12v marine cigar lighter socket to the grill next to one of the fog lights so I can plug an battery charger, so the 6 to 7 amp additional load shouldn't be a problem.

rusty nuts - 15/10/09 at 06:52 PM

Kenlowe Hotstart works to preheat the engine and with a length of screen washer tubing wrapped around a the top hose you have instant warm water at the washer jets

britishtrident - 15/10/09 at 08:29 PM

There is a german 240v pre-heater called the Black Frog with its own circulating pump available at about 80 quid only source I know of is an ebay seller that only advertises in the winter months.