Board logo

Google Earth
flak monkey - 2/10/05 at 05:38 PM

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet.

Google have their own world explorer type program that lets you zoom to anywhere in the world. Some places are very detailed indeed (like the grand canyon and other major sites).

Theres a screen shot below. Pretty awesome.

Go to google and type in google earth to get the link to download it. Free and only about 12Mb.

David Rescued attachment grand canyon.jpg
Rescued attachment grand canyon.jpg

David Jenkins - 2/10/05 at 07:19 PM

And if you type in a UK postcode it will zoom in and show you where you live...

RI8CHP - 2/10/05 at 07:39 PM

yeah you can enter any uk post code and have a look its not very clear untill you reg for the full version though

macspeedy - 2/10/05 at 07:45 PM

there is this as well which is cool

http://www.googleearthhacks.com/

David Jenkins - 2/10/05 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RI8CHP
yeah you can enter any uk post code and have a look its not very clear untill you reg for the full version though

Depends where you live - my house is out in the sticks so there isn't much detail.

However, London buildings can be seen in a fair bit of detail, and my parents' house on the outskirts of Swansea is also clearly visible (I can see that his car wasn't in the drive when the satellite went over!)

David

[Edited on 2/10/05 by David Jenkins]

steve_gus - 2/10/05 at 09:05 PM

multimap has an aerial photo feature. However, they have modified it recently so that you cannot zoom in much - you have to buy the pics. Before they restricted it, you could see individual houses

atb

steve

skydivepaul - 2/10/05 at 09:40 PM

Pretty cool
has a lot more detail in the USA than in england

JoelP - 2/10/05 at 10:01 PM

i got bored of it due to a lack of detail, and also too many scenes were taken at an angle. Overhead view would be better throughout. Maybe improve with time...

Hellfire - 2/10/05 at 10:13 PM

I too got bored of it due to lack of detail (on the free version) although I believe that if you pay for the full version, you do get greater detail.

Its pretty pointless though, other than to highlight what modern technology is/will eventually be capable of.