Board logo

Electicians - donestic install question
Jumpy Guy - 12/10/05 at 01:06 PM

we do largely industrial installations, subject to 60204
we're now doing a domestic- type install.

so, I'm adding an enclosure with a controller for electric blinds, lighting, etc

this switches some 24 V Dc circuits, but also some 230 V electric blind controllers( 9 of, pullaing approx 1.5 A each)

this enclosure is fed from the main DB for that area , off a spare breaker

within my enclosure, i have -

mcb - for 24 V side
MCB - 230 V stuff

now the question-
do i need some overall point of isolation on the panel? door switch interlock?

MikeR - 12/10/05 at 01:21 PM

god knows but don't you have to be to a standard now for home electric installations (thought the law changed about 6 - 9 months ago).

ady8077 - 12/10/05 at 01:24 PM

Hi

It will depend on the enclosure, if you have to open the door to reset the mcb's then you should have a door interlocked isolator. If you can reset them through a flap like a consumer unit then you woudn't need an isolator, just warning stickers

Adrian

ReMan - 12/10/05 at 02:42 PM

Why would you need an interlock, and what would it isolate, all the electrics in the enlosure anyway?

Jumpy Guy - 12/10/05 at 02:48 PM

thats my thought - our enclosure is keylocked, has a point of isolation ( in the main db)
and is signed to indiacte where the isolation is ....

RI8CHP - 12/10/05 at 02:53 PM

we would just label it like you said, also a label to show what voltage is present would be a good idea

ady8077 - 12/10/05 at 03:41 PM

The customer should be able to reset an mcb without being able to touch live parts, I dont think a label on its own is enough, havn't got a regs book with me as i'm on hols this week

Adrian

Jumpy Guy - 12/10/05 at 03:47 PM

he can still isolate from the main panel if isolation is needed

ady8077 - 12/10/05 at 04:01 PM

Without a regs book its hard to say, I no you can use the main panel as the isolator, but its always best to isolate at the point of use.

If your worried you can ring the iee for guidance

Or maybe check with your "part P" assessor?

Adrian

ernie - 12/10/05 at 05:24 PM

you will "local isolation" if when opening the enclosure live parts are exposed. If all parts in the enclosure are protected from contact by digits(fingers) and can only be accessed by using a tool then no other protection is needed