check this out iam gonna try this
http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm

goodall - 11/4/07 at 11:36 PM

look at all those bottle of vinegar!

that would last me a few years and i make sweet and sour sauce every few weeks

works very well for all that, seems simpler than electroylise

[Edited on 11/4/07 by goodall]

RazMan - 12/4/07 at 06:59 AM

Wow! That looks just as effective as electrolyis but without all the hassle.

02GF74 - 12/4/07 at 07:12 AM

looks too good to be true ..... but you never know, it;s not april 1st?

Mr Whippy - 12/4/07 at 07:22 AM

I use this myself, I went to Asda and got a trolley full of their cheapest malt vinegar and filled up a big bucket. I was forever throwing things in it. It gets real nasty after a while and stuff builds up on the bottom that is minging. Very very smelly so best to keep it up next to your neighbours hedge

I does work that well and is so low cost that you could do an entire axle in a trough. If you went to catering suppliers that would be even cheaper.

Fred W B - 12/4/07 at 08:06 AM

Awesome. Do you think you would have to first strip brake calipers, or just do them with pistons, seals and all in place?

Then replace the seals afterwards obviously.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/4/07 by Fred W B]

Peteff - 12/4/07 at 08:47 AM

I wouldn't put that stuff on my chips though, it's the acetic acid derived from acetone known as non-brewed condiment (chip shop vinegar) isn't it? Malt vinegar is the dear stuff

Mr Whippy - 12/4/07 at 08:48 AM

It does absolutely nothing to rubber or plastic, I've tried plenty and had no reactions. Great on spark plugs as well and paint is also unaffected but your hands well don’t even ask…

cadebytiger - 12/4/07 at 08:49 AM

remember that this is simply a dilute solution of acetic acid. Not sure how this would treat rubber bits.

would not leave things in there too long and would also try and wash as much of it off as possible after.

stevec - 12/4/07 at 09:00 AM

I think some chip shops get it in concentrated form and dilute it with water. That would shift some s**t.
I always put my salt and vinegar on when I get home, I am sure that putting chemical vinegar on your tasty chips has to be bad for you.
Oh no I feel a Pie coming on
Steve.

Mr Whippy - 12/4/07 at 09:54 AM

Reminds me of that group of geologists that went out onto a volcanic acid lake to see how deep it was. The measuring line dissolved before it even reached the bottom and then their rubber dingy started to melt!!, only just made it back to shore alive. Numptys…

oadamo - 12/4/07 at 10:49 AM

iam gonna buy some today and try it. but i need a BIG tub to get the prop and axles in lol. it all seems to simple hope it works
adam

stevec - 12/4/07 at 11:20 AM

Those Trug things they have at the garden centres are quite big.
Steve.

trogdor - 12/4/07 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Reminds me of that group of geologists that went out onto a volcanic acid lake to see how deep it was. The measuring line dissolved before it even reached the bottom and then their rubber dingy started to melt!!, only just made it back to shore alive. Numptys…

hehehe most of the people on my course are geogists, and i am, kinda. not that i would admit that.

marvinsy - 12/4/07 at 01:59 PM

can i use other types of vinegar or is it just malt vinegar?

oadamo - 12/4/07 at 03:55 PM

i went to the corner shop got 4 bottles 60p each.iam gonna wait till the mrs going shopping and get her to get a few bottles about 20 i found an old oil tin and cut it open. just to test this out i droped an old hub in to see what happens and how long it takes

old hub

cut tin open put hub in

David Jenkins - 12/4/07 at 04:15 PM

Certainly works for me - it also removes the mill scale that you get on black mild steel.

One warning - once you take it out of the vinegar and rinse it off, give it some sort of coating (oil, paint, whatever) as it'll rust before your eyes!

cloudy - 13/4/07 at 08:40 PM

any news Oadamo?

oadamo - 13/4/07 at 09:17 PM

i forgot all about it but s**t me it works

this was the other side i tryed chiping it with a driver before i done it and it wouldnt come off. ive just washed it under the tap and give it a brush. ive just done a bit so you can see the diffrence.
i got told off for doing it in the sink lol.

Catpuss - 21/4/07 at 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
I think some chip shops get it in concentrated form and dilute it with water. That would shift some s**t.
I always put my salt and vinegar on when I get home, I am sure that putting chemical vinegar on your tasty chips has to be bad for you.
Oh no I feel a Pie coming on
Steve.

Yep, there was an old story going round, prolly about 10 years ago of a chippie that got done when the assistant spod didn't dilute the vinegar down sufficiently. One customer ended up with acid burns in his stomach apparently.

Catpuss - 21/4/07 at 09:51 AM

I feel the urge to break in my Makro card and get a big catering bottle.

russbost - 21/4/07 at 10:29 AM

I've tried this & it works - up to a point - is there anything a little stronger thats easily accessible we could "beef it up a bit" without risking finding nothing in the pot when we go back to it, or no pot, no hands etc

oadamo - 21/4/07 at 10:46 AM

i only used a paint brush to clean it with.it would of been better with a wire brush.iam gonna buy some pickling vinegar to see if its better
adam

[Edited on 21/4/07 by oadamo]

MikeR - 21/4/07 at 10:48 AM

(i just about passed chemistry far too many years ago)

If you want to beef it up a little why not add a % of battery acid?

I'm curious what conidition this leaves the surface in. Can't help wondering if it would be a good degreaser and would start to etch the metal making painting easier.

Catpuss - 22/4/07 at 09:10 AM

Vinegar is looking pretty good. I've had the plates imersed in 20lts of "Non brewed condiment" (acetic acid, water and caramel). The first few hours really worked well. Not so much progress overnight. I guess a lot of the acid has been used up.

I don't know what the reaction of mixing acetic acid and sulphuric acid would be. I guess you could try it.

Probably find chucking in a bottle of cilit bang (phosporic acid, as used in cola & wonder wheels) would have an effect too.

Catpuss - 22/4/07 at 05:27 PM

Did a treat.

Won't touch the drums though. Looks like they are rusting up a bit. I guess all the acid has reacted and been used up, leaving 20 liters of smelly water and I guess some oxides.

Catpuss - 24/4/07 at 06:09 PM

3 days and cleaned up the drums quite nice.

The tub is rather "ripe" though now

RazMan - 24/4/07 at 09:54 PM

We want pictures !!

Mr Whippy - 25/4/07 at 07:34 AM

Don’t you have to be careful mixing acids cos they can explode or something. I’d be scared to use battery acid as it's very strong. At what point would it actually start eating away at the good steel?

02GF74 - 25/4/07 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Don’t you have to be careful mixing acids cos they can explode or something. I’d be scared to use battery acid as it's very strong. At what point would it actually start eating away at the good steel?

not a good idea mixing different acids willy nill - you could get poisonous gasses produces - you need to know the vchemistry behind what you are doing.

RazMan - 25/4/07 at 01:48 PM

Yep, or anything could happen