Board logo

Black Top Zetec Cams - in place of Piper 285
Krismc - 25/4/09 at 05:09 PM

Im getting conflicting reports of why my car didnt pass SVA emmsions, engine tuner said its because my cams have a large overlap they are 285 pipers.

What do you guys think??

Im after a pair of Standard cams 2.0 Litre Zetec Black just to get me through SVA if you think its the piper ones causing it!!

cheers kris

paulf - 25/4/09 at 05:28 PM

The problem you will have is that the cams are shimmed on a blacktop , you would need to reshim them to suit your cylinder head.
If the problem is related to the cams then maybe the cam timing could be adjusted slightly to help.
Paul.

Krismc - 25/4/09 at 05:36 PM

I have adjustable pullys.

paulf - 25/4/09 at 06:19 PM

Its possible to adjust the cam pulleys on a standard zetec by slackening the retaining bolt. I take it that yours are vernier type , are they set correctly? even if they are it may be possible to tweak them for the emissions although if the cams are not too extreme profile you shouldnt need to.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
I have adjustable pullys.

ncoll - 25/4/09 at 07:05 PM

285 piper blacktop cams are only 285 in name,the inlet duration is 264 degrees, the exhaust is 256 degrees. The overlap is 44 degrees, not wild in anybodies imagination. Has the cylinder head been modified?

Neil Collingwood

Krismc - 26/4/09 at 08:07 PM

The inlets have been opened a little to allow flow for the throttle boddies but not much few MM- but thats it.

Engine has adjustable pullys and lightened flywheel.