Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dash attempt #2 (pics added 1 Nov)
derf

posted on 31/10/05 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
dash attempt #2 (pics added 1 Nov)

After I realised how much work my last attempt at a dash needed to be finished I decided to scrap it and start over. This time I used wood instead of foam to make the buck out of, worked much better, mostly because the resin didnt melt the wood. I also used a much thicker fleece this time. Once I add the tach, and the switches it should be done. I am still deciding if I should mold it in with my scuttle or should I mount it to the scuttle using dzus fasteners.

I still havn't bought a tach, so it's represented as the drawn on tach

I am also looking for input as to where I should mount the turn signal indicators, the brake warning light, and hi beam indicator.

The switches along with the ignition key will be located below the guages either on an abs plasic, or an aluminum panel poprived to the dash.

Just for a comparison I'm also re-posting a photo of the old dash, the yellow one.

I re-built my dash
I re-built my dash

dash layout
dash layout

[Edited on 2/11/05 by derf]

RazMan

posted on 31/10/05 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf
I am also looking for input as to where I should mount the turn signal indicators, the brake warning light, and hi beam indicator.

I would say that they need to be mounted as high as possible to avoid having to take your eyes off the road - maybe between the two upper gauges?

That fleece dash certainly looks good - are you going to apply filler to the surface and then install it? What thickness do you end up with?

[Edited on 31-10-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 31/10/05 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutly I am going to finish it off before I install it on the car. I want to sand down the actual dash piece, then use some body filler, and sand until smooth. But I want to have all the holes drilled for all the lights, buzzers, switches, and have it mounted on the scuttle before I do the finish work on it.

My first thought on how to mount the lights was to put the two turn signal indicators on each side, and the high beam and brake light in between the two guages, you can see where I drew a small circle where I thought I might want to mount them.

RazMan

posted on 31/10/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
It would be great if you could squeeze them around the Tach like your Mk1 dash. Not sure if they would be obscured by the steering wheel though (and Mr SVA won't like it)

I've got to make my own dash soon - the fleece looks like the way to go.

[Edited on 31-10-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 1/11/05 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
sva don't apply to me, sorry.

There wont be enough room to mount the lights above the tach, but I think I am going to try and put them below, or on each side of the tach.

[Edited on 2/11/05 by derf]

derf

posted on 2/11/05 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
added switches and key. the plastic pannel will be pop riveted on to the dash when done. I also ordered my tach today too, should be here by tommorrow, as long as the shop comes through.

switches big
switches big

switches close
switches close

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.