Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: idiotic question - how do you bolt seats in?
02GF74

posted on 10/1/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
idiotic question - how do you bolt seats in?

maybe a really stupid question but how are you supposed to bolt seats in?

I have a pair, fibre glass with black pvc covering (not the ones in photo in rci seats post), that have no fixings so would need to be drilled. Obvious place is the base but I don't want to be sitting on a bolt

I also want to keep the seats as low as possible and fixed in postion so no complicated runners.

Ideas and pictures please!

[Edited on 10/1/06 by 02GF74]

Deckman001

posted on 10/1/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Best to say who's they are, different makes use diffent fixings !!

If there Tritons, they use an insert from beneath, so no bolt heads showing

Jason

k33ts

posted on 10/1/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
would it be better then to make some brackets up each side
ive seen it done somewhere rally cars i think???????

decide how much u want for your seats yet??

Humbug

posted on 10/1/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you can lift up the trim in the base, you could fix them how mine are done: carriage bolts with dome heads and a square section below the head.

Then there is a rectangular "base" for each bolt, with a square hole to catch the underneath of the bolt head, and a sort of butterfly shape side view. The bolt goes down through the seat base and the floor. Here's a very bad attempt to show what I mean.

[Edited on 10.01.2006 by Humbug] Rescued attachment Seat bolt.jpg
Rescued attachment Seat bolt.jpg

RazMan

posted on 10/1/06 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
The standard bucket seats (Cobra etc) have L shaped alloy side mounts which bolt into captive nuts moulded into the seats. They then bolt directly to the floor.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 11/1/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I didn;t know but looking in kit car mag I've identified them to be Intatrim Odyssey, sold by Europa for an jaw dropping £ 165 !!!!!!

I also see on their website that do seat runners, but these raise the seat 1 inch so not ideal and from memory there may be rails in the way where the runners would go.

There may be nuts in the sides but I would need to lift the vinyl - someone out there will be using these seat so will know for sure.

[Edited on 11/1/06 by 02GF74]

donut

posted on 11/1/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
If this is what you have then pull the seat padding (bit you sit on) forward, It's held down with velcro. There you will see the fiber glass seat bottom. I have similar seats and just popped 4 bolts through with big penny washers to spread the load. I can't feel the bolt heads (big arse=extra padding!!) You could use coach bolts.

[Edited on 11/1/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 11/1/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
the back and side trim is glued to the base but the front is stapled

having thought aboput it and read replies - thanks!; options seem to be:
1. sides - right angled ali/steel with bolts on the side; excess weight!
2. fibreglass a metal plate to the base with bolts - don't think this would be strong enough; else so much fibreglasswould be needed it would raise seats further
3. a penny washer welded to a headless bolt through the base; or simpler coach bolt/button head or countersunk heads and plate/penny washer

opt. 3 is the simplest although 1. would mean there is not change of ending up sitting on a bolt.

re: opt 3. what diameter bolts? 8 mm? or 10 mm? (one on each corner)

RazMan

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
4 x M8 will be plenty strong enough

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

02GF74

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
4 x M8 will be plenty strong enough

though so!! lighter too! and smaller head!

donut

posted on 11/1/06 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
The seat lifts from the back, it's just held with velco, give it a yank!

[img][/img]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

02GF74

posted on 12/1/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
donut - you are as kit car seating god!!

correct - the back is held in by velcro and by the looks of things, there is sufficnetin padding for a hex head bolt (will try a s.steel button head or else a roofing bolt).

good job you told me otherwise I would have started pulling the covering off the base!!!

tractorboy

posted on 12/1/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
with mine to save taking the seats apart i drilled four keyhole shaped holes in the bottom of the seat .dropped the bolt into the biggest part of the hole then slid it down the narrower part fixing in place with some expanding foam ( just small amount. just make sure key holes go from side to side with the keyholes running in opposite directions( my opinion is its slightly safer ) . this make sense as im writing it but there again i know what i mean. cheers scott

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.