Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Checkerplate floor
ReMan

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Checkerplate floor

I've cut out my checkerplate floor panels tonight, which will be fitted ON TOP OF the ally floor, for looks and grip.
I was planning to use 3 or 4 small pop rivets just to keep them in place. I was'nt sure wether I need something in the sandwich, either PU, grease, thin laminate floor insulation, maybe to stop the rattling or corroding??

Any suggestions or tips regarding fitting them please?

RazMan

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you leave an air gap it will encourage water to hide in there, possibly giving problems later.
How about a sandwich using 1mm rubber? - good for preventing panel 'drumming' too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you stick em down with PU, you definately wont need any pop rivets, plus I sincerely hope that you wont want to take them out later, sticks like excrement to wooly material. Regards Chippy
Hellfire

posted on 30/6/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Colin, we've made ours so they are removeable. We used a strip of draught excluder around the edges of the passenger side panel to prevent it vibrating whilst driving without passenger. The drivers side doesn't need any cos it doesn't vibrate with your feet on it.

Makes it easier to clean out small stones, grit, water etc. which can gather in the footwell.

Phil

stevebubs

posted on 30/6/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Interference fit with a couple of strips of rubber underneath is what I'm planning...
ReMan

posted on 2/7/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips fellas.
I decided on removable, just in case it got wet, manky etc. so I've fitted them with M4 dome screws and nuts, thinking, I'll never want these out ever

We washed it this evening, with the battery tray out because I still need access to fit the f-ing wing mirrors
Guess what, the footwells filled with water

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.