Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Under dash area and SVA
esn163

posted on 11/7/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Under dash area and SVA

Hi,

we are just in the process of setting the car up for SVA and are unsure of how tidy wiring etc. has to be under the dash.
Also, we have noticed some have panelled the whole under dash area in for SVA have people passed without doing this? Currently, the wiring is in a mix of convoluted tube and wrapped in between with insulating tape and where it goes through the ally panel into wiring area behind, the edges are protected with plastic edging strip. Is it worth panelling this whole area anyway? Also is there anything else worth covering under the dash.

Thanks

Ed

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 11/7/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
My wiring is bundled together with cable ties onto the rails, etc. but I made a cover with a piece of an old plastic bath panel - looks a lot neater and keeps things out of reach of Mr SVA's balls!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2005-08-28%202%20Locost%20underdash%20panel.jpg

DavidM

posted on 11/7/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
This seems to be one of those areas where each test centre has a different interpretation.

Mine was SVA'd at Nottingham. I made a tray above the transmission tunnel to hold all of the under dash wiring. This left very little under the dash that was contactable. The underside of the column support bracket was carpeted, the cut off switch bulked up and radiussed, and the scuttle edges trimmed. Passed OK.

David

Proportion is Everything

donut

posted on 11/7/06 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Best to get all wiring etc hidden away. They have an exclusion zone so many mm above the base of the seat. Anything above that measurement in the footwell comes under sva edge regs. I had a load of relays which i should have failed on but he let me get away with it.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 11/7/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I panelled mine in with a couple of pieces of hardboard, covered with some vynil, SVA man took one glance at it, and that was that. I think if they cant see the wiring, it's like it not there. My advise, cover it in, why fail on a simple item, can always take it out later, if your that worried about the weight. Chippy.
esn163

posted on 12/7/06 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys - some great ideas there, will have a go at panelling it with something

Cheers

Ed

[Edited on 12/7/06 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

bimbleuk

posted on 12/7/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I used corrugated ali sheet under the dash and cut a couple access holes for fuses etc. I used edge strip on these of course. My wiring was a complete mess tucked behind the dash but hidden by the panel. No problem passing SVA. I have since tidied the wring!
Guinness

posted on 12/7/06 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I left mine open wish I hadn't really. Only fail was the spade type terminals on the flasher relay weren't insulated.

Not bad, but to change them involved me lying with my head in the footwell, arse on the seat with me feet hanging over the roll bar!

Glad no-one had a camera!

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.