Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat belt lower mounts
pewe

posted on 22/7/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Seat belt lower mounts

Hi. can anyone tell me if bolting the lower mounts through 5mm thick fillets welded and tapped will pass SVA? Or do the bolts need to have a locknut behind them even if the plate is tapped? Can the lock nuts be tightened up using a lock washer or does the whole issue have to be by a nut welded onto the plate? If I sound confused I am!
Thanks in anticipation, Pewe

nick205

posted on 22/7/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pewe,

I don't think a tapped 5mm thick plate would suffice, even with a nut on the back.

This is how the MK mounts are fabricated with a threaded tube fully welded into a 4-
5mm thick plate, fully welded to the chassis tubes.

HTH
Nick

MK Indy harness fixing point
MK Indy harness fixing point

Chippy

posted on 22/7/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Within the propshaft tunnel, because I had welded my retaining nuts on in the wrong place, (to high up). I redrilled the plates and fitted the seat belt anchorages with HT bolts, and nylock nuts. In the SVA manual it states that as long as you can get at the nuts and bolts, this is acceptable. In areas that you cant get to, then the nuts have to be welded on, as per the MK set up shown on previous post. ATB Ray.
pewe

posted on 24/7/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I can access the back of the plates (just) so reckon I'll use some self-locking nuts. These plus the tappings in the plate should be more than adequate in terms of safety and SVA. Cheers, Pewe

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.