Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW heated steering wheel
jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
BMW heated steering wheel

Seems an obvious one this; no weight penalty, got to be nice in freezing weather. Was wondering if anyone had tried using an old 3 series steering column and wheel and kept the heating? Or any other way to do it? Or anyone know of any good reason why not?
Tad poncey for a locost I know, but itd be another thing to keep me driving it lots into the winter.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Aboardman

posted on 15/1/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
locost method put on some gloves
jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
There can't be that much difference in cost, it'd be an old steering column from a wreck whether sierra or old 3 series. And I'd be using the original wheel.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/1/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Heated steering wheel,you will be driving around in a pair of these next
jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I already have the very same!
Hhhmmm, only two mikey-take responses? Is everyone asleep tonight or what....?

big_wasa

posted on 15/1/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
How big is a series 3 Wheel ?
jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
The regular one was fairly large, the sport version was smaller, not sure on exact dimensions (i'm thinking of the late 80s early 90s one, last 3 series with proper round heatlights). May be airbag to remove too. Might still be on the large side for a 7, hence wondering if anyone had tried it already. Otherwise DIY job I guess, but I'm not sure if I could be bothered with that, would be a whole new project.

James

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Heated might work in a tintop... I'm not sure it'd be man enough to make much difference on a wintry day.

A pair of fleecy gloves saw me through a wet November and the cold first days of December though!

Just keep your hands low below the dash and it's really not too bad!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
True, but with full weather gear on it might be more useful. Weather gear is a priority for me anyway as I want this for an every day car, so a lot of my priorities are to do with practicality. If I can do it for no more effort than using a different steering column then what the hell.

caber

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nancy motorcyclist heated gloves sound like better bet, I think you can even get electric long johns for geriatric motorcyclists these days, probably not locost though!

Locost version.. find an old overnight electric blanket, these are low voltage for safety, strip out the elements and sew into thermals!

Caber

SixedUp

posted on 15/1/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sainsburys had thinsulate lined gloves on sale for £2 last time I was in there. Hardly seems worth the effort to worry about anything more sophisticated ... :-)
Cheers
Richard

les

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
how about re-wiring a pair of motorbike heated grips!
andyps

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was a fairly recent thing by BMW to fit heated steering wheels. Even if youfitted one it would only warm the palms of your hands and they are out of the cold air anyway.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone tried those "Vulcan" gloves? So named because they have 3 fingers - thumb in its place, 1st & 2nd fingers in the next place, 3rd & 4th in the last. Supposed to help keep fingers warm. Described here.

This is of particular interest to me, as I always suffer with cold hands - I have no windscreen, so the 1st fingers suffer badly as they're in the airstream. Came home the other day with the 1st fingers on both hands white and hurting. Rest of my hands (and the rest of me) was warm enough.

David

jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
I thought it was a fairly recent thing by BMW to fit heated steering wheels. Even if youfitted one it would only warm the palms of your hands and they are out of the cold air anyway.

As they say, "if your feet are cold, put a hat on!"

And you might be right, might be that there's no earlier 3 series heated wheel, though I think the big BMWs had them early. Will have to have a look about the scrappies. I'm not too bothered about it though, I won't look too hard.

locost_bryan

posted on 26/1/07 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
To keep it authentic, shouldn't you get your heated wheel off a 7-series?

Colin would be spinning in his grave

What about ski gloves? They'd match the ski goggles you need for a Brooklands screen.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.