Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric demist heater?
Rudy

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Electric demist heater?

Hi frends,
Is electric demist heater (something like the one solt by nfauto) a good thing?
I do not want to complicate my life with radiator,fans ,heater ducting, water valve etc.
So what do you think? Is electric an alternative?

Sorry about my English

Bob C

posted on 15/1/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I had one years ago and it was utterly useless. Maybe the nfauto one is better.
Remember you get KILOWATTS of heat from a car heater - that would translate to hundreds of amps at 12V!!!
Bob

Chippy

posted on 15/1/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Same as Bob C, had one years ago in an old moris minor, complete waste of time, and electricity. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

BenB

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
NF auto do two different types. The little ones are pretty poor but if you have two it's usually deemed just about okay for SVA.
The big ceramic heaters are better but rather ackward to duct etc.
As mentioned they take a fair bit of electricity (thick cables needed) and still they won't be as good as a normal heater (which in reality just makes use of a product of the IC engine- ie heat!!)... Seems a shame to be getting rid of heat at one end of the car and then burning more petrol to create electricity to make more heat at the other!!!

Personally for a lightweight heater I'm using an oil cooler (in the coolant circuit), an ali box and a cheap RC ducted fan motor / fan (I got a fan blower of a Porsche 911 but its f'ing heavy!!!).... Total cost about 35 quid....

But then that's partially cos my alternators a bit puny anyway....

jlparsons

posted on 16/1/07 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have heard they're a bit wimpy. Some use them in addition to engine heating so you get some heat as soon as you turn the key. Not very locost though, nice idea for a bigger project though. One day I'l do my M5 engined cobra hard top...

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Rudy

posted on 17/1/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I understand.
I will use water heater.
Thankyou.

Sorry about my English

Schrodinger

posted on 17/1/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I used a couple of 12v hairdryers which passed SVA and did clear the screen. This solution was mainly to give me room under the bonnet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.