Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA and the seat mountings?
tegwin

posted on 20/1/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
SVA and the seat mountings?

Im quite concerned with the seat mountings on my RH 2B...

Basically the seats are supposed to be bolted to the floorpan which is thin stainless sheet...

The outer seatbelt mounts are bolted to the chassis but the middle ones are just bolted to the stainless tunnel walls which are riveted to the floor so they flex a fair bit...

I am quite tempted to weld a steel bar across the entire width of the chassis to take the seats and the middle seatbelt mounts.

Is there anything in the SVA guide that says how many bolts you have to use to hold the seat down? Im thinking of using two from the middle of the seats into the bar across the chassis...

Idealy I would like to mount the seats on some runners to allow for me and the old man to adjust the seat so we can both drive it....What is the slimest adjusting mechanism that would work? (we are both over 6'2" so really need to keep the seats as low as possible...

Chears.
Dunc

BenB

posted on 20/1/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
The seat mounting is less of a problem- SVA manual IIRC says the mounting has to be "adequate"- ie lots of room for interpretation by the tester. I got away with large repair washers under the bolt into a rivetted aliminium floor.... after all its only got the restrain the seat...

Belt mounting is likely to be more of an issue especially if its into sheet steel rivetted on.... After all, the belt mount will have to take your weight multipled by whatever G force the impact creates... Personally I would do the proposed welding.... If you've got the welder etc why not do it? Simpler than an SVA fail and the compulsory retest....

tegwin

posted on 20/1/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I would deffinately not drive it as it is....I will have to look into what I can do....

Really need some seat runners though, what do other people do when they need low profile seat runners?

Dunc

stevec

posted on 20/1/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
The Robin Hood forum has mentioned this a few times regarding the 2B.
Search and Ye shall find.
See link to thread.
Steve.

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=12592&hl=seatbelt+mountings

[Edited on 20/1/07 by stevec]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.