Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel mounting screws
phoenix70

posted on 14/2/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel mounting screws

Hi All,

Simple question, anyone got a source for the little screws used to attached a sparco wheel to the boss, preferably some that won't rust. The one on mine have all rusted, obviously not meant for use outside.

Cheers

Scott

RazMan

posted on 14/2/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless Button Heads?
Plenty on eBay - just do a search on the thread size

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 14/2/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Like Raz says eBay, Got mine there.
Like these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M5x20-Button-head-allen-bolts-50-FREE-P-P_W0QQitemZ170078316894QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41500QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

phoenix70

posted on 14/2/07 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Stainless Button Heads?
Plenty on eBay - just do a search on the thread size

The ones on my wheel are countersunk, but if the standard size is M5, I'll have a look on Ebay

Cheers
Scott

[Edited on 14/2/07 by phoenix70]

John Bonnett

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've been very happy with Namrick. They are keen to do business, are well priced and seem to be able to get anything you want. Well worth a phone call. Their website is: http://www.namrick.co.uk/

John

fesycresy

posted on 15/2/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I used stainless, but Rich Thomas (on the forum) said to be careful due to the shear strength of stainless.

Mine looks good, so I ignored him (and the car is so light), but he knows what he's talking about.

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

scudderfish

posted on 15/2/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
www.modeilfixings.co.uk are good for the smaller stuff as well.
martyn_16v

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I got some blue anodised ally ones from a bike shop (push bike, not motor bike) a couple of years back. Can't for the life of me remember what they're meant for on a bike...
02GF74

posted on 17/2/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
I got some blue anodised ally ones from a bike shop (push bike, not motor bike) a couple of years back. Can't for the life of me remember what they're meant for on a bike...

most likely to be bottle cage bolts. you can get them in anodised ali and titanium.

re: I used stainless, but Rich Thomas (on the forum) said to be careful due to the shear strength of stainless.

hmmm, I did wonder about this; my 13 in mounten is held on by six 5 mm stainles button head on my Ladn Rover, and that weight 4 x wot yer locost does and has bigger tyre than yer locust too and has been use off road and so far they have held.

my belief, be it wrong or right, is that if they are done up tight, then the friction between the steering wheel and mouont takes up most of force and n ot the bolts. If there are loose, then they would be in sheer.

If you have ever use a bolt cutter on a 5 mm bolt then it takes some doing, multiply that by 6 (not saying it canlt happend but finger crossed........)

Marcus

posted on 22/2/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure 5mm button head stainless screws are fine, mine have been on for three years now and still look like new.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.