Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: clear resin
dave r

posted on 28/5/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
clear resin

can you get clear resin ?
want to be able to see something through some, and the stuff i have is drying yellowish

any suggestions ?
the layer will only be 1mm or so
dave

matty_64

posted on 28/5/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
try clear casting resin.cfs should stock it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 28/5/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah....CFS do a couple of clear casting resins designed for pouring over dead animals etc to preserve them lol
zetec

posted on 28/5/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Good model shops do 2 part epoxy resin for covering models. Cures clear and can be sanded and polished when hard, easy to use and ideal for small fibreglassing jobs, some shops even stock a few different weight matting.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

balidey

posted on 28/5/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, as above. Polyester resin (the more commonly used for GRP) cures to a greenish colour. Epoxy cures almost clear. Be warned though, its not nice stuff, so wear gloves and ventilate the room. Can be more brittle than polyester by itself.
scotty g

posted on 29/5/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
if you're making something with matt you will need a special fibreglass that also drys clear otherwise the money spent on posh resin will be wasted.
even with clear drying resin and matt i have found success to be somewhat limited in the past.
The best thing i have found for using clear setting resin is to pour some into a small plastic drinks bottle, chuck in a dead wasp then pour more resin over it until its covered then leave to set. Once set, cut the bottle away, shape the resin block and pollish until shiney and voila, home made amber with a bug in it!
cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.