Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Windows
RazMan

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Electric Windows

I'm presently redesigning my two piece doors to make them a single door and would really like to fit electric windows if I can find a mech small enough to fit inside.

Does anyone know of some compact systems?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Smallest I've seen are aftermarket for the classic mini.

Minispares do them (linky) but they are silly money compared to scrapman specials - any small shopping trollies with electric windows that can be made to fit?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RazMan

posted on 8/7/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Those Mini ones aren't all that expensive when you consider that it is a pair for less than £200.
Agreed I could do better at the scrappy though - really muddy up there lately

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 8/7/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
The ones in the mk4 polo are quite compact....they are cable drive and i imagine would be quite easy to shorten...
turbodisplay

posted on 9/7/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I made my own electric windows,

Cable type is best, easy to shorten.
I used a window unit from Japaneses car called a xodes 9? (think it is a mazda import)

Cut 6 cm from the track (turned out it would have fit anyway at full length).
Weld together, and take winder unit apart.

Cut cable 6 cm shorter, use a bicycle cble nipple to crimp shorter length.

I`ll see if i`ve got my camera about.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RazMan

posted on 9/7/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
I`ll see if i`ve got my camera about.

Darren

That would be very handy Darren - 'tis a bit of a new fangled thing for me so any help is appreciated

Cheers,
Raz

darrens

posted on 9/7/07 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
These do a universal electric window if you fancy buying new

http://www.machine7.com/section.php?xSec=1188
http://www.machine7.com/section.php?xSec=1202

Cheers

[Edited on 9/7/07 by darrens]

RazMan

posted on 9/7/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the links - unfortunately they are conversion kits designed for existing mechanical winders (basically a motor plus hardware) I am starting from scratch so maybe a trip to the scrappy is called for, at least to start with.

Cheers,
Raz

turbodisplay

posted on 10/7/07 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
I`ve put the photos of the drivers side door in my photo archive.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
turbodisplay

posted on 10/7/07 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a website for lambo replicas:

http://www.lambolounge.com/Body/Door/Power-windows/power-window.asp

Darren

RazMan

posted on 10/7/07 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Darren - the pictures are a tad large but I think I think I have got the gist of what you have done.

Cheers,
Raz

turbodisplay

posted on 10/7/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just make sure the angle of the runners are exactly the same as the winder,otherwise it will bind. Took me three attempts, but it now runs smoothly.
A constant distance from one side is what I used.

Darren

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.