Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interior Panels - Plastic or Ali?
mackei23b

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Interior Panels - Plastic or Ali?

Hi there

What did you use (ali or plastic)?

What thickness?

Where did you get it from?

If plastic, any issues with expansion due to heat. (I've got some carbon effect, however it expands by about 3-4mm across 1 meter in the sunlight!)

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ian

mookaloid

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used the plastic panels supplied by MK but only for the rear bulkhead and tunnel.

I liked the look of the exposed chassis inside the car - and it doesn't add any weight!

I did notice the rear bulkhead swelling in warm sunlight but there were enough rivets to hold it in place.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

VinceGledhill

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I used 1mm ali on mine and I think it looks the dogs balls.

Just riveted it on.

I put a few blobs of that expanding foam in each space before fitting to hold it and it works well. Will add some photo's to my archive tonight if I get the chance.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Humbug

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Neither - I used foam camping mat glued to the inside of the outer panels. No intrusion into the interior space and I think it looks a bit different (IMHO!) Rescued attachment interior.jpg
Rescued attachment interior.jpg

smart51

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre effect black plastic. You hardly notice the carbon effect but it is enough pattern to not see any scuffs. At 2mm thick, it is slightly lighter than 1mm ally and doesn't dent or tarnish.
worX

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
0.9mm ali for the rear bulkhead panels and no other "internal" panels.

Lots of people have used both and several have used the camping mat trick too as shown above so it is up to you...

Steve

ditchlewis

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
i used aluminium sheet for all internal panels. this has been glued and rivited to the chassis and polishes up well, and adds strength.

note it adds weight but mines not a race car and i weigh over 17st so whats another Kg or 2.

ditch

twybrow

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
The only interior panels i am fitting are those on the tunnel. They will all be carbon fibre, so no problem with weight or expansion issues!

caber

posted on 2/10/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
1.2mm ally with under laminate foam covered in trim vinyl on tunnel, 6mm exterior ply on inside of exterior again with foam and vinyl. nothing behind seats ribbed rubber on the floor, vinyl straight onto ally dash, all looking good will post piccies soon.

Caber

rj

posted on 2/10/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I used plastic (originally from MK I think) and it does expand a bit in stong sunlight, it bows between the fixing screws.No issues with rattles or dints !
Pezza

posted on 2/10/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning on 2mm abs sheet for the back panel and trans tunnel, nothing anywhere else, trying to keep weight to a minimum.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

RK

posted on 4/10/07 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have badly fitting alu panels from the kit maker (unnamed!!!). I am, however, optimistically going to make panels out of foam core fibreglass. The foam core I'm getting from an art store, and then I'm laying the fibreglass on top. Everything will be flat, so it shouldn't be too difficult (he said). Oh, and I'm very experienced in fibreglass, NOT!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.