Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: securing gaiters
jabbahutt

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
securing gaiters

morning all

I've been looking at all your finished car interior photos. One thing that baffling me that hopefully you can all help with.

I've got the holes in the trans tunnel cover for handbrake and gearstick. I've got the nice ali trim made to go round.

How do you secure the gaiter for the handbrake/gearstick to the underside of the trim or tunnel top. I can't imagine that you just stuff it through the hole and leave it as non of the photos look like that's whats been done

All explainations welcome as I'm hoping to pick up a couple of gaiters at Stoneleigh

Cheers all
Nigel

worX

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
You can make a stainless/Ali surround and screw that to your tunnel.
Or
If you have a "finished" gaitor then you can simply screw that to your tunnel with some black self tappers.

Steve

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Probably the best way to do it is to make an aluminium trim ring to allow you to sandwich the gaiter between that and the ali panel. Secure the trim ring with rivets going through the whole lot. Your carpets or proper trim rings will then hide the rough trim rings (or just do as Steve suggests and use the one - although you do then need to unfix the gearlever gaiter to remove the centre panel rather than just remove the gearknob and slide it all of in one piece).

Will U2U you now Nigel re Stoneleigh

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Paul TigerB6]

DarrenW

posted on 24/4/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I did as paul sugests for revision 1. Just sandwiched the gaiter between tunnel top and trim ring.

Rev 2 - gaiter is sewn into the full padded tunnel cover.

paulmw

posted on 24/4/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I did all of the above and it looked poo. Most of the after market trims are too big and it is difficult to achieve a high standard finish with ali. (but then my hands are made of sausages)

I just cut down a standard gaitor and fixed it with self tapers as most of the other solutions trapped the switch

Paul

02GF74

posted on 24/4/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't do it but my gaitor is glued to the aluminium ring, then the ring is screwd down in place. Works well and looks neat.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/4/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
I did all of the above and it looked poo. Most of the after market trims are too big and it is difficult to achieve a high standard finish with ali. (but then my hands are made of sausages)

Mine was hidden under the carpet (the Supercat - not the BEC which deffo wont be getting heavy carpets!!) so guess it depends what you have to finish the tunnel with. Mine looks like this anyway and took under 30 mins to do.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.