Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is a 290mm steering wheel too small?
Gergely

posted on 28/4/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Is a 290mm steering wheel too small?

Hi, I like the Momo mod.26 steering wheel a lot, but it is not available larger than 290mm diameter. I started wondering if the steering wheel will be to small for the MNR... The car will be track oriented, but will be used on the road just as much... Anyone has experience with the 290mm Momo? Or anyone has experience with a similar, small size wheel? Should I worry?
By the way, I am 6 foot tall, my co-builders/drivers the same or 1,5" taller, so we need the space under the thigs, too...
Thanks for any pointers!

Yes, I have read the previous similar threads, but many were just guessing if a certain size is better than the other.
Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
charlierevell

posted on 28/4/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Im on a sparco 270mm Suede and its spot on, i wouldnt want any smaller. Gives me loads of room for my legs (6ft plus) and doesnt make the steering that heavy. I am on a bike engine tho, saying that 290 should give you the extra needed if your CEC.

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

RazMan

posted on 28/4/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
A lot depends on your rack ratio - I found a 310mm about right with my 2.9 rack but would probably struggle with anything smaller on normal road use. Track driving is probably easier with a smaller wheel so I think you might be ok.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gergely

posted on 28/4/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify things, The car will be an R1 engined BEC with no reverse, so road driving / parking will be limited anyway...
Any other people's ideas?

Davey D

posted on 28/4/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
How about a wheel with a flat bottom?

Gergely

posted on 28/4/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, that's the thing... we are not too keen on flat bottom steering wheels...
And I don't think the biggest problem will be getting in or out - removeable wheel, anyway...

smart51

posted on 28/4/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 305mm steering wheel in my R1 engined, quick racked Vortx. I have no problems with it. A 15mm smaller diameter wouldn't worry me. You will need to put 5% more muscle into turning the weel but that isn't much.
Davey D

posted on 28/4/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just eat plenty of this, and your be fine

PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/4/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I had a momo 280mm on my last Indy with a quick rack,felt just about right,but being leather it was a bit slippy,I have fitted a suede one to my new car,grip is alot better but it is one of the omp flat bottom 310mm wide by 260mm because I am 6' 3" I keep knocking my legs with the wheel,so I am looking for a 260mm suede wheel now
Gergely

posted on 29/4/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
290mm mod. 26 it is then... in suede leather.
Thanks for the pointers! I will let you all know how it drives once we get it with the kit... It won't be in half a year that we can drive tha car, though...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.