Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Window mounted mirros... how?
tegwin

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Window mounted mirros... how?

I want to stick a modern(ish) screen mounted mirror in the TVR rather than screw it to the roof...

Im going to pop to the scrappy at lunch and see what they have..

But.. How are they actually attached to the screen?

What is the best way of removing said mirror without breaking it?

And then, once its off, what should I use to attach it to the TVR windscreen?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

02GF74

posted on 5/3/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
But.. How are they actually attached to the screen?

pretty sure it is glue. When you buy this, it comes with cleaning pads as the screen needs to be clean for best results, pretty sure you can get it in halfords.

smart51

posted on 5/3/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Production cars have a square of black paint baked into the surface of the glass in a kiln. You glue to mirror to that "paint". Halfords sell special glue to refit your mirror.

If your car doesn't have that painted square, you'll see the glue from the outside which will propably look bad.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/3/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Ford Focus mirror pad from a dealer some time ago. They are basically a pre-glued foam pad and as long as you clean thouroughly using something like alcohol (waits for the string of booze-related jokes ) they stick like a b*$t*rd. Cheep too

or is that CHEAP lol!

[Edited on 5/3/09 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/3/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I tried to remove a rearview mirror from a scrapped car and it was so well glued on the windscreen shattered and I still couldn't get it off very impressive glues

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BillHoll

posted on 5/3/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I work for a major glass company and the method is 3mm's tape (double sided). You can normally buy these from most accessory shops and is usaully called a mirror patch. Clean the screen and mirror with some kind of spirit, heat the mirror mounting with a hair dryer and then apply the patch. Then heat the windscreen and press the mirror onto the glass and hold it there for a minute or so. full strength is normally achieved in 72 hours but as long as you do not swing on it then it is ok almost imeadiately. To remove an exiisting mirror you need to get between it and the glass with something like a wood chisel, but do not try levering off or the glass will break. I have also seen a cheese wire used to cut through the adhesive pad.

[Edited on 5/3/09 by BillHoll]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.