Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing dashboard with concealed fixings
Jeffers_S13

posted on 27/6/05 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Fixing dashboard with concealed fixings

How have people fastened their dash to the scuttle without having screw or bolt heads visible ? I was thinking on using a few press studs, one part riveted to the ali panel and the other pop riveted to the fibreglass return on the scuttle. Or Also though of the clips that hold interior door cards to the door, I was going to us the steel ones that were used in old Triumphs to hold them on, very cheap and simple.
Avoneer

posted on 27/6/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I think the dash has to solidly mounted for SVA.

I know the inspector grabbed mine and a few others (ooo eerr) and gave it a good shake to see if it came off.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 27/6/05 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
PU adhesive - it'll never move!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nicksertis

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall a thread on here recently where someone (zetec I think) countersunk and then PU'd some bolts into the front of the dash, then covered the dash over with leather etc. To fix it to the scuttle, you just mount it on a bracket (or directly to the scuttle) via the bolts (which run through the dash and out the back side) and then fix it with a nut or wingnut from the back, so you can get it off when you need to.

Make sense?

Nick

[Edited on 27/6/05 by nicksertis]

nicksertis

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Found it!

OK so it wasn't so recent, but Zetec has described this method in his 3rd post of the thread...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=19816

ATB,
Nick

Jeffers_S13

posted on 28/6/05 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I had thought of this but access to put the wing nuts on will be limited, firstly there is an ali plate under the dash to keep all the gubbins suspended, no big problem I could put a removeable access hatch in but I imagine actually getting my hand up and inside will be a mission and a half through the wires and past the gauges unless its a huge hatch. Also the thought of one of the captive bolts coming loose when undoing or doing up would drive me potty ! and mean a dash recover if one did, hence my press stud idea. I could get some ali bolts and have them tacked on from the other side to stop them ever moving or coming lose. I thought the most popular way must be captive bolts though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.