Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gimme some bloomin seats!!
RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Gimme some bloomin seats!!

I'm back on the seat trail again having decided that my Lotus Elise seats are a little too 'sit up and beg'. My GT has a low roof and I need the headroom. Width is not a problem (except the width of my backside)

I need a pair of seats which:
Are quite laid back, almost like a karting seat.
Extra wide for a 6' 2", 17 stone salad dodger
Ideally silver or grey fibreglass with smooth finish
If not already trimmed they need to be trimmable - even rubber pads are acceptable

I know that there will be seat manufacturers reading this so come on guys, what have you got for me?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can do these in grey gel coat but better still why not have the entire face in carbon fibre Rescued attachment Wide smoothy seat side view.jpg
Rescued attachment Wide smoothy seat side view.jpg

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can tissue the backs if you are concerned about the matt finish (done anyway on carbon version)

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Inserts available that need to be trimmed to suit

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

welderman

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Still pondering on those seats for the Mini. What are the sizes and i will measure the Cobras i have at work to compare.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
430mm wide at widest point and 875mm to top of seat from floor.......fit 6ft 6" 17st easy and comfy to boot.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Humbug

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Welderman - I should think your avatar must have really bad nipple rash by now!
Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
smutty bloke has some ointment for that nasty rash

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Can do these in grey gel coat but better still why not have the entire face in carbon fibre

They certainly look the part Triton but are they angled back more than the average seat?(this factor is vital)
I am sure that the carbon fibre looks great but it isn't the look I want - silver grey gelcoat would be fine and weight is not a concern.

welderman - your avatar is hypnotising me again

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Razman....I can do some magic when making the seats to create more angle of dangle....what angle are you after?

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

jonno

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are Vx220 or mx5 seats adjustable, just a thought !
RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonno
Are Vx220 or mx5 seats adjustable, just a thought !

They are too thick in the base IIRC. I'm even thinking of trying thinner underpants to get more headroom

Triton, the dangle angle wrangle sounds promising - have you got a drawing of your seat so that I can compare with other seats. I probably need an extra 5-10 degrees IMO

Here's a very laid back one - a bit too far though I think.

[Edited on 16-1-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Drawing! blimey what's one of those!!

I have an outline i borrowed from somewhere that i can add the dimensions to if that helps?

Or you could mount the seat at an angle using side plates as i can bond the inserts into the sides

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble is when you lay the seat back, the front rises and pushes your thighs upwards.

If you could post a pic of the side view it would help me to visualise the angle.

Have you got anyone in my neck of the woods with one of your seats?

Here's a fairly standard jobby

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
and from the side

Cheers,
Raz

Triton

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think I have sent any to Essex.

I will have to fill in the dimensions tomorrow as don't have a seat here with me.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

welderman

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the seat size. I'm off now to lube up those nipples.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a Cobra standard bucket - these are very upright and a bit of a tight squeeze width wise. My missus got her butt stuck in one in Halfords once

Cheers,
Raz

Fred W B

posted on 17/1/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Raz man - have you tried wedging a plank of wood into the car as a dummy seat behind your back at the angle you want to lean back to. Then just measure the angle by using an bubble degree gauge. You can then measure the angle of other seats. I sit with the back at 30 degrees from vertical FWIW. Most standard touring car seats seem to be only 10 deg from vertical. It doesn't sound like much, but try it. You might imagine you need 45 degrees, but that would be extreme

Cheers

Fred WB

[Edited on 17/1/06 by Fred W B]

Triton

posted on 17/1/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
The witch's hat seat is same angle as Locost rear bulkhead @17degrees the others are nearer 25 degrees.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

fesycresy

posted on 17/1/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Triton,

What's tissue on the backs of the seats ?

Did you get my email regarding the dash boards ?

Cheers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

tadltd

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Our seats have the angle your looking for. Depending on which way you measure them, it's a 35 degree back rest angle from vertical (55 from horizontal).

We used the technique Fred mentioned when designing our seats because we couldn't find one on the market that would suit the LMP, the closest we could get was the kart seat shown in your picture. So we used that as a 'guide' and added leg support. There's a pic of them in this forum area and in my photo archive...

Here ya go:

Turner seat
Turner seat

[Edited on 17/1/06 by tadltd]

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, The LMP looks as though it is very similar to my GT, at least in driving position. I think I can get away with 25-35 degrees which means your seat is probably the closest so far.
I U2U you shortly mate

Fred, thanks for the tip regarding angles - although I havent got a bubble thingy I am pretty sure that your seat angle would be about right too. It gives me a good guide regarding what to look for

Cheers,
Raz

Fred W B

posted on 17/1/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Razman - Just rechecked my seat angle, actually is 32-33 degrees

Cheers

Fred WB

Triton

posted on 17/1/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Surface tissue provides a better visual finish to the rear of the seat..And the angle is 30 degrees.
GRP seats weigh 4.5kgs
Carbon 4.2kgs
No need for extra mounting frames as built in mounting points

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.