Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top belt mounts
pewe

posted on 31/5/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Top belt mounts

Wonder if someone can advise on the following:- 1) I'm using high back GRP shell seats with belt holes for 4 point harnesses. Upper belt mounts will be more than the 450 mm as shown for SVA but slightly lower than the seat holes, say 25mm. Will this fail SVA? Should I raise the bolt mounting points so they are parallel to the seat holes? 2) Seats sit well off the rear bulkhead - do they need supporting near the top or is that not an issue? Thanks in anticipation, Pewe

[Edited on 31/5/06 by pewe]

Chippy

posted on 31/5/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just failed on a similar set up. Tester said FAIL for two reasons, one the belt could fray on the seat, second the seat, in the event of an accident, would deform down allowing you to be thrown foreword and "possabley" contacting something hard. Mind you this was at Southampton SVA, and what a picky bunch of b*****ds they are, could be diferent elsewhere, but then again maybe not. Cheers Chippy.
RazMan

posted on 31/5/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Chippy is right on the seat deformation thing - the mounts need to be level with the harness holes so they take ALL of the force in the event of a front ender.
I took the unusual step of raising the harness holes in the seats before they were trimmed as there was no way I could lower the mounts.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 1/6/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Chippy & Razman thanks for the reply - thought everyone must be out enjoying the fine evening. Found some thick-wall tubing in stock to take the threaded inserts so will mount them (supported) to come level with the seat holes. Cheers, Pewe

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.