Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VortX ordered & joined LB Forum today!
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/9/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
VortX ordered & joined LB Forum today!

Hi All, I took the plunge, parted with my hard-earned and ordered a VortX kit a few weeks back so the 'Busa in the garage is soon to be stripped. Was told about the LB forum at the Donnington show last weekend so I signed up today! Building my own car has been my ambition for over 25 years so can't wait to collect the kit and get building! I live in Iver, Bucks (between Windsor and Uxbridge, near Slough) and wondered if there are any owners/builders near me? Standard of chassis, quality of engineering and competence of Mark and Chris sold me on the MNR.
TimC

posted on 18/9/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations. The Donington show must have been a real hit for you with two Busa Vortices(?) on display.

Nice choice - you'll be finished before me!

vinny1275

posted on 18/9/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the nuthouse!! I love the username btw!!

I'm building a pinto-powered vortx at the moment - in Swindon, so a reasonable trek from you but bearable. Marc and Chris are great and very helpful any time I've hit snags in the build so far.

timc and coozer are both partway thru their builds and blogging like me (they're further on than I am) - their urls are http://timsmnrvortx.blogspot.com and
http://mymnrvortx.blogspot.com

There are a couple of other guys who picked up their kits around the same time as I did - millemg and someone else I can't remember. Not sure where they're at currently tho...

All the best with the build, agriv8 (Iain, who you might already have met if you visited MNR), is setting up an owner's club also.

Cheers,

Vince

speedyxjs

posted on 18/9/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
Welcome to the nuthouse!! I love the username btw!!

Me too

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

coozer

posted on 18/9/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome, I'm sure you've made the right choices.

This place will be your golden place for questions and advise when you get stuck in the hard place

Don't blink to search or ask for questions as the answers will flow immediately.

Busa engine? what more could you ask for??

Good luck!
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Jubal

posted on 18/9/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome. If you are who I think you are then I tried my best to show you the bad side of a BEC, driveline shunt, noise, no windscreen, dodgy clutch etc etc but it didn't seem to put you off! Good luck with the build.
worX

posted on 18/9/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I wondered who it was you took out Derek!

Steve

Johneturbo

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hey welcome
Great choice, now hurry up and get stripping
we also popped up to donny, was good to catch up with chris/marc and Agriv8?
sadly no track action.... onday i will get to experience what an MNR and Busa feels like

i'm not that far away, just outside beaconsfield.

[Edited on 18/9/07 by Johneturbo]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/9/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Timc, Vinny1275, speedyxjs, Coozer, Jubal, WorX, Johneturbo and all in 'the nuthouse'! You certainly know how to make a nooby feel welcome! Thanks for all the comments and blogs, and particular thanks to Derek for the spin (not literally) in your MK fireblade. It certainly did not put me off, on the contrary......I want to get building all the sooner!!!!

Yours, Clive.

millemg

posted on 19/9/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome..!!

Yes, I'm still here, lurking and building (slowly).....I am still mid house move / renovation, and the MNR is at the wrong house at the wrong time I need to do more soon !!! Looks like a winter project now

I'm somewhere here right now :

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 19/9/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch Millemg! Sounds like a challenge. I know what it is like to have too many demands on your time. I'm trying to make sure I have a full 12 months with no DIY etc (except the build of course). Not sure I will be able to persuade the missus that we should holiday at home though! Yours, Clive.
zxrlocost

posted on 19/9/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Clive good luck with the Build dont forget to join the BEC Owners Club as there is deals that will save you money whilst building.

good to chat with you it it was me who then asked you if you wanted to go a thrash in dereks car

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris, I was good to chat with you and great to get out with Derek in his flying machine. I have signed up with the BECC so looking forward to enjoying the benefits!

Yours Clive.

Winston Todge

posted on 2/10/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Clive!

I've just got back to building mine after a long extended break for a few reasons. And I can't get enough of it! Not far off now either...

I see you've ordered a Super!? What spec did you go for in the end? And is the Buell yours?

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 3/10/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Clive,

welcome and a good choice!
I'm over Bracknell way so I'm not too far from you.
Have fun with the build.

Paul

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 3/10/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Winston, Chockymonster,

Great to hear from you. Sorry about the delay, I was travelling but got back late yesterday (2nd). I went for the Super to get the chassis as light and stiff as possible. I've gone for Raceleda front suspension and Raceleda brakes all round. Also the Muffett diff, dry sump, and Race Technology dash/logger. (by the way Race Technology are offering 20% off the DASH II this month in Practical Performance Car mag) Its got a full cage as my mate went through a fence sideways a while back and was very lucky to escape uninjured so we both went for the full cage (he's ordered an MNR to replace his written off Tiger). As there are so few donor components required for my spec I decided to go for new ones from MNR and a new reg (one refurbished component allowed which will be the Hayabusa engine/gearbox). MNR have also kindly offered to make me a race nosecone with no grille bars. I've been planning and saving for a long time so it's great to finally place the order and prepare for the build. Oh yeah, and I'm going for a full undertray and diffuser.

The Buell is mine and the picture is of me charging 'round Lyden Hill on it. It's a much modified '01 X1 Lightning with undertray, carbon fairing, trim and belt guards, forcewinder air intake and filter, RRC rear sets, crossroads bars, CND rear hangers and pegs, and screeming eagle race ECU and exhaust. It has stonking torque and will pretty much ride round anything on the corners but tends to lose out to the riceburners on medium or long straights.

Good to hear you're back on the build Winston, and that you are so close in Bracknell Chocky! johneturbo is in Beaconsfield and vinny1275 is in Swindon so we may have the makings of the Southern 'chapter' of an MNR Club!

Clive.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

TimC

posted on 3/10/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Holy Crap - NICE SPEC!!!

That sure isn't a Locost!!

clutch_kick

posted on 4/10/07 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Anything but locost hehehee

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 4/10/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
As it should end up with around 410 BHP per Ton and weigh no more than 420KG it should out-drag Ferraris and drive 'round Lamborghinis so from that perspective I reckon it is a real bargain!

Whatjareckon? Can I stay in the gang? Or am I to be exiled to wander in the tintop desert for eternity?

TimC

posted on 4/10/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
You can be in my gang as long as I get a passenger ride! Should be an awesome machine!

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 4/10/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
You've got a deal TimC! It might be a while though as i don't collect the bits until mid November!

clutch_kick

posted on 4/10/07 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
As it should end up with around 410 BHP per Ton and weigh no more than 420KG it should out-drag Ferraris and drive 'round Lamborghinis so from that perspective I reckon it is a real bargain!

Whatjareckon? Can I stay in the gang? Or am I to be exiled to wander in the tintop desert for eternity?

As long as you don't mix with the CSR's bunch!!

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 9/10/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Phew, that was close, thought I was to be exiled to the mediocrity of production line consumer transport for the rest of my sorry days!! Pass the spanner!

Winston Todge

posted on 9/10/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sh*t a brick! You don't do things by halves do you!?

I'd be interested to see how that Muffet diff performs. Great to know there's people out there at both ends of the MNR cost scale... ;P

Would be very interesting to see the difference in performance between the bog of the bog, being my R1 RT and the Super dooper trooper VortX with Busa! I'm Bristol way and my folks live in Reading so I go across that way a fair amount. We'll have to sort out a day at Keevil, Hullavington or Thruxton or similar...

Lovely Buell spec too! I've got a VFR800 that gets used and abused 50 miles a day, day in day out. Can't get enough of two wheels...

Take it easy,

Chris.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 10/10/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Chris,

Sounds like a great idea, I look forward to it. I'm building the car for trackdays so I will certainly take every opportunity to track it once it is finished.

My slightly warped logic was that by the time I sourced a diff, a reverse box, and an ATB limited slip I was a long way towards the price of a Muffet which also has the advantage of drop gears to swap final drive ratios, and comes with drive shafts. I'd also heard that reverse boxes weren't reliable (although I've later heard that this is when they don't have a proper breather tank).

I don't believe there will be a great advantage over a decent diff/lsd/reverse box setup except perhaps less friction (no separate reverse box) and final drive ratios that can be swapped for accelleration or top speed or to better suit a particular track.

Clive.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.