Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seating and harnesses
Dangle_kt

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
seating and harnesses

Hi,

I'm getting to the point where I can start to fit seats in the car, so I have a few questions around fitting them correctly.

I understand the seats can be drilled through the steel floor and as long as 8.8 bolts are used and large penny washers then they are safe (and keep Mr sva happy)

Is this also true if you use a set of runners? I'm only using one on the drivers side.

Also I have top mounting plate welded in place on the two rear top chassis rails, ready for them little circles on a stick (don't know the proper name sorry!) but my query is around the LOWER mounts.

Can these just be fitted onto the rear seat bolts? I can't imagine thats very safe?? There are two small horizontal plates welded to the lower edge of the prop tunnel and side rail (which are also welded ON TOP of the steel floor panel) and they look like they might be suitable for mounting an L shaped bracket to. But what are the L shaped brackets called for mounting your harness to? I've seen a few on picture on this forum, but can't find a name for them and therefore anywhere that sells them.

Thanks!

02GF74

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

ready for them little circles on a stick (don't know the proper name sorry!)

eyebolts.

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/4/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
HAHA! Eyebolts, thems the badger!!!

Anyone know about the L shaped brackets?

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

ready for them little circles on a stick (don't know the proper name sorry!)

eyebolts.

PMSL oh dear

mind though if your only using one set of runners then the other seat will be obviously lower, you will need space it up with washers.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 15/4/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
States quite categorically in the SVA manual that the seat belt mounting points must be fitted to strong chassis areas or structural areas if its a monocoque.
3 mm plates welded to the chassis and captive bolts.
If you mount the seat belts to the seat bolts and only have penny washers underneath it will fail as the seat is now tested as part of the seatbelt structure.
It's pretty clear in the SVA manual and is well worth a look.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/4/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the comments, I was sure it wasn;t as simple as that, thankyou for confirming my thoughts. and the knowledgable input.

Anyone else got any other points to add?

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
States quite categorically in the SVA manual that the seat belt mounting points must be fitted to strong chassis areas or structural areas if its a monocoque.
3 mm plates welded to the chassis and captive bolts.
If you mount the seat belts to the seat bolts and only have penny washers underneath it will fail as the seat is now tested as part of the seatbelt structure.
It's pretty clear in the SVA manual and is well worth a look.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.