Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting Interior
DarrenW

posted on 22/4/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Painting Interior

Anyone done it on their car?

I opted to not fit interior plastic panels. Still stand by that decision. However my chassis is powdercoated silver (probs best described as grey tbh) and the GRP is very dark blue. After a couple of years i dont like the look. Just been thinking of painting the exposed chassis parts and inside of GRP with satin black - and probs back of seats while im on.

Question is - can anyone recommend decent brushable paint that will cover the powdercoat and also the inside (rough) grp side panels and back of seats? I know several o fyou have painted backs of seats so there must be something good enough. What would you use to clean it all off first - is panel wipe OK?

Second question - my rear bulkhead is ali sheet. Looked great when first fitted but after 2 years and poor access to keep it polished its looking crap. What is best way to brush paint that? Just use straight forward etch primer folloed by same paint as rest of interior? Is brush on etch primer easy to come by?

Ali chequer plate floor will remain as god intended.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/08 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Why not do a nice vinyl interior rather than just the bare panels, it's very easy to do, material is cheap and available from woollies trim. Have a look at other cars like Westfield’s / Dax for inspiration; it doesn't need to be plane plastic panels. It will also feel a lot more comfortable and be safer in a crash and easier to heat if you have a hood.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambojeef

posted on 22/4/08 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm I dont know that any brushable paint over a large area will look all that great, with the possible exception of that hand painted car from wherever....

If you want to spray you are more than welcome to the borrow of my compressor and spray gun one weekend?

Spray guns will need a good clean but spraying will let you apply a nicer finish, if you can be bothered with all the masking off of course....!

Geoff

alfasudsprint

posted on 22/4/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
you could do the rear panel in vinyl very easily, better than painting ali imho.

painting powder coating? no idea, sorry.
Tim

DarrenW

posted on 22/4/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambojeef
Hmm I dont know that any brushable paint over a large area will look all that great, with the possible exception of that hand painted car from wherever....

If you want to spray you are more than welcome to the borrow of my compressor and spray gun one weekend?

Spray guns will need a good clean but spraying will let you apply a nicer finish, if you can be bothered with all the masking off of course....!

Geoff

Thanks for the offer Geoff. As the back of the side panels are broken up by the chassis rails its more like lots of smaller areas. Also the back of the GRP isnt smooth like the front aesthetic gel coated side so i dont think the brush finish will be that noticeable.

I was told that several people have painted the backs of their GRP seats before but cant remember what paint they used. I dare bet its smoothrite or similar - most probably nothing exotic.

I might just give any old decent make paint a go on unseen areas to test. Im sure smoothrite will work - ive touched in engine bay chassis wounds (scratches)with it before.

Need to redo the roll bar at some point too where the powder coat has chipped.

charlierevell

posted on 22/4/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Im just doing my passenger footwell in hammerite satin black. If it looks pants i'll have to look at another option but for now it doesnt look too bad.

I've got ali side panels too, Im tempted to make them in plastic (ABS or similar) should keep weight down and not be too pricey, but will it affect strength?

How cool would a clear bulkhead be! haha

Ill let you know how the painting goes!

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

Slater

posted on 22/4/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Darren
I have used spray cans, etch primer then satin black stuff, looks OK. Not sure how it will look in 2 years time though. I have done this on all my ali panels that show on the inside, except the floor.

Pic taken with just the etch primer applied.

back panel spray
back panel spray

and final result

side panels on
side panels on

[Edited on 22/4/08 by Slater]

[Edited on 22/4/08 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

RK

posted on 22/4/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good question!

Myself, I have decided upon a hodgepodge: enamel paint (brush and roll) followed by spray to look smooth, THEN clear coat (that specifically states "not for automotive use". Obviously I had to try that. The finish with that is very nice.

Absolutely no idea how it will hold up. The rest is furniture vinyl and sign vinyl that I bought off WalMart (I know, bad) and EBay.

Floor will be automotive carpet that was with the donor car.

DarrenW

posted on 22/4/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Slater - just the look im after.

I went to shop - saw the Hammerite satin black. This was the only variant that doesnt state if hammered or smooth. i dont want hammered so choose similar paint made by International.

Took pass seat out - thoroughly cleaned that side of car. Found satin black spray. After a clean and panel wipe the backs of seats have sprayed a treat (Totrosyl trade spray). Just about to brush inside of side panels.

For ali back panel most paints say to use non-ferrous primer. Nah - im not bothering. Watch this space

Tidying up the car is infectious. Steering wheel swap and roll bar paint is now on list. Where will it end. 16V engine????

RK

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have it on good authority that it never does. Now I don't feel so bad about not having finished yet.
DarrenW

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Update.

Inside of side panels and exposed chassis bars painted up well. Happy with result.

I sprayed back of seats satin black and over the moon with result - so much so that i might spray the rest black now.

Rear ali bulkhead - well in a word crap. Not happy but seeing as the seats cover most of it from view ill live with a wee while. i cant recommend brush painting this panel, or at least not without etch priming first.

Roll bar - ive just brush painted it to see what satin black will be like - like it a lot. Finish is poor so ill have to have it blasted and coated some time. I might need Anthony to make me a full vinyl cover with pockets in now for storage.

Other conclusion - dont get chassis powder coated silver. It looks more like grey and not so easy to touch in - hence doing inside satin black.

charlierevell

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done mine in satin black hammerite, comes up ok, rear panel isnt the best but like the above is mainly covered by the seats.
(Like the idea of spraying them but after taking them out and putting them back once i cant be bothered to do it again!)

The interior sides look fine and the floor takes for ever to dry!!

I painted with primer, then black satin twice, then sprayed 3 - 4 times over that.

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.