Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: smoking at work
Peteff

posted on 27/10/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I packed up 27 years ago, but one of my friends who smokes raised the point that when we are out I get to share his smoke so I should contribute towards the cost of his cigarettes. . As I read the article smoking was allowed in pubs, clubs requiring membership but not establishments supplying food, subject to being passed by Parliament. Try googling "smoking in the workplace" you'll get no end of hints.

[Edited on 27/10/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 27/10/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I think i would allow the employees to put it to the vote. If it is voted to be non-smoking then they have made the decision.

Ref providing a place to smoke - i would have thought this would have all sorts of potential repurcussions, but as said already i would hate it if it was my business and smokers stood outside a main entrance. Maybe one of those open hoods or a small shed with no windows or door could be the answer (ie protected from rain but well ventilated).

I recall a place i used to work for had an insurance policy that discouraged smoking inside and would cancel a claim for fire if it was found to be started by a cigarrette or similar. Check your policy, if this is the case then you can use that as the reason for banning the smoking.

What has always narked me is that smokers seem to get more breaks.

iank

posted on 27/10/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Couple of things.

I lived in Vancouver (canada ) when they introduced the no smoking in pubs and clubs. As usual there was a huge outcry from smokers, but the majority of pubs actually increased business after the ban! They suddenly found lots of people weren't going to pubs because of the smoke who were now happy to go out for a couple of drinks and a meal.

Secondly having just this year finished treatment for cancer - including a node in my lung (not smoking related) I can quite comfortably say everyone who smokes should go on a cancer treatment ward and see the poor bast*rds with lung cancer, then maybe watch them being carted off to the morgue a couple of days later. They might want to have a chat with someone on chemo to see how unpleasant it is for the 'lucky' ones who are treatable to get sorted out. Then they can make an informed decision on whether to have a go at giving up.

andyd

posted on 27/10/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
ATEOTD there will always be problems when smokers and non-smokers mix. As a non-smoker myself I'd ask of the smokers, "would you mind if I took a dump in your lap?", it's maybe as offensive an act as their 2nd hand smoke is to me!

Also, if heroin addicts shot up in the middle of the pub, would the smokers object? They are both addicted to drugs so what's the difference?

2c... no offence

Andy

serendipity123

posted on 27/10/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
we maybe moving away from the original question here a little as i didnt want to get into a smoker non smoker situation, , , , i think i'll just sack the smokers lol that should solve the problem

i'll put a memo up in the staff room today lol

"ALL SMOKING MEMBERS OF STAFF ARE NOW SACKED "

[Edited on 27/10/05 by serendipity123]

iank

posted on 27/10/05 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the hijack

I'd suggest you avoid a vote, it'll just cause problems down the line whoever 'wins' - especially in a small office, and could lead to legal problems. It could be considered constructive dismissal if they guy who wants to stop smoking in the office feels he has to leave (but I'm not a lawyer so don't take my word for it - ask a professional ).

I'm with the build them a shelter (locost 1" tube and ally obviously ) and get them smoking outside. But you are the boss, and you know your office and it's personalities much better than us.

But then I've not worked in a 'smoking acceptable inside' office for 15 years, and wouldn't accept a job in one.

Hellfire

posted on 27/10/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Solution to constructive dismissal.

Rename company - make everyone redundant from old company.

Make new rule that the company enforces a non-smoking policy. Advise the staff that they are all eligable to apply for the new jobs on the new terms.

Should the smokers get the new positions - before one year employment expires you could lay them off for no reason anyway. Some small, medium sized companies practise this.

(To be read with tongue inside the cheek!)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.