Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe?
Peteff

posted on 12/9/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has a Student lathe from the place he worked at. He bought it for £600 and it cost him nearly that to install it at home but it is a beautiful tool. He is very good with it as well, he makes model trains and turns me a few bits up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 13/9/06 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Student is the one to have if you don't have too much space

In industrial circles the Student is regarded as a school or training lathe and thus a 'small lathe'. In reality it's a half-tonne of iron & steel approx 2 metres long, 1 metre deep and 1.5 metres high (rough guess, as I'm not at home just now). My Student weighs almost as much as my Locost.

In other words, it's a small industrial machine, but a big lump to fit into a garage...

Damn fine for tough 'home-sized' machining though - I often take 6mm cuts in mild steel using power feed, with swarf coming off in continuous lengths like razor wire! The 3-phase motor hardly notices the load.

The biggest problem I have is with the noise from the headstock gearbox when using the top 2 speeds - straight cut gears working hard.
David

[Edited on 12/9/06 by David Jenkins]

Cheers David, put my mind at rest there, thought it was just my headstock gearbox that did that!!!

full revs with the leadscrew box engaged really does scream it!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 13/9/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've used a student in a large workshop, and didn't think it was very noisy - now mine is in the back end of my garage and I just can't run it on the 2 top speeds without ear defenders, and certainly not late in the evening! Extremely loud in a small space...

DJ

NS Dev

posted on 13/9/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
......which is probably a bit irritating because lots of "car sized" jobs need around the 600-1000 rpm mark!!! lol!

found the same trouble with mine!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.