Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VortX ordered & joined LB Forum today!
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 11/11/07 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Got the engine out of the bike last night but noticed that the sprocket cover will block the propshaft (see my post on BEC section). Just need to finish stripping the bike and sell the surplus parts, and clean up the engine. Feels like things are starting to happen. I'm working next weekend so my next free weekend will be when I collect the bits from MNR (Chris tells me my shiny new chassis is finished!). I feel like a kid before Christmas, is that normal or am I a bit wierd? ;-)

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

chockymonster

posted on 11/11/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
I feel like a kid before Christmas, is that normal or am I a bit wierd? ;-)

Perfectly normal

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 11/11/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I feel like a kid before Christmas, is that normal or am I a bit wierd? ;-)

Perfectly normal

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt.c

posted on 11/11/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nice choice. But there is one thing you are doing wrong! You should use the ZX9R!! The busa is way to slow!!

Oh yeh WELCOME.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 12/11/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Matt,

So you must have gone the supercharger and nitrous route then??!!;-)

Joking aside a 9R should be PDQ!!!

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 27/11/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Finally, the day arrived! I picked up my VortX kit last weekend! Lots of shiny new bits. They've taken up a lot more space than I expected but the wife has kindly donated space in the family room for the Buell and 'glass parts so I got it all in. Not done much building yet but have started trimming the driver's footwell bulkhead to fit 'round the gear change bracket. I'll hopefully get stuck in properly at the weekend!:

TimC

posted on 27/11/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Piccies please - this must be the highest spec'd VortX to-date, so don't keep it all to yourself.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 27/11/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not much to see just yet as there are not many outward signs that it is a T45 chassis. Will be more to see as the build progresses so will post updates with piccies when it gets more interesting. Just the Chassis on stands at the moment!

Posted a piccie but not sure where it went!?? Perhaps to the photo albums?

[Edited on 27/11/07 by sucksqueezebangblow]

Wasn't in photo albums either so I have uploaded it to my photo album. Still don't know what happened to the attachment!

[Edited on 27/11/07 by sucksqueezebangblow]

worX

posted on 28/11/07 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
looks good already!!!

Steve

[img][/img]

TimC

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Nice - chassis looks deeper at the front, possibly to avoid the bodywork having to be shimmed? Also perhaps extends slightly further forward possibly to allow direct mounting of rad and and fan assembly? Looks like additional cross-bracing at the front also. Actually, looking again, it's a whole lot squarer at the front full-stop.

Look forward to following the build.

[Edited on 28/11/07 by TimC]

TimC

posted on 28/11/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to ask, have you got the rear diffuser?

Cheers

TC

Johneturbo

posted on 28/11/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good news that you've got your kit clive

looks the same as mine at the front, i guess it would be!
edited to say erm no i dont have the extra bracing behind that front cross section doh
next time i'll look like both eyes open!

i've found on mine the nose needs trimming on the inside to get the chassis inside, either that or i've done something wrong!
ps you've got far to many kids or bikes

[Edited on 28/11/07 by Johneturbo]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 29/11/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hey TC, I havn't got the diffuser yet. Marc tried aluminium but the result was too heavy so they have made it in 'glass. It is finished but Marc is hanging on to it a little longer to get a mould made from it. So I imagine diffusers will be available to retro fit very soon!

Hi John, Just two kids, but very expensive ones! How's your build? You must be flying if you have got to the nosecone already! I have only just got the bulkhead panels Clecod on!

Steve, What's the trick to getting photo's to show in a post? When I tried it as an attachment it vanished somewhere!

[Edited on 29/11/07 by sucksqueezebangblow]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 3/1/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Brief update. Not getting stuff done as fast as I expected but I'm taking my time to try to get everything right with my first build. Had to remake a few brake lines as some were slightly too short (probably differences in the T45 chassis) but the last one is almost in. The fuel lines are in as are the bulkhead panels although the drivers side needed considerable fettling, and a series of moves that would have made a chinese puzzle proud, to get it into position! This was due to the position of the 'Busa gear change bracket which cannot go anywhere else on the chassis. The aluminium panel that goes above the scuttle is cleko'd on and I have fabricated and fitted 11 brackets to hold the front undertray which I will fit after the body with rubber nuts. The loom is also fitted as far as the front bulkhead but I was waiting for some bigger P clips for the thickest section of the loom and some grommet strip for the holes throught the front transmission tunnel top and the panel above the scuttle.

Once these odds and ends are finished I'll fabricate and fit the battery tray, fit the scuttle top, pedal box and start thinking about getting the diff bolted and shimmed.

Has anyone fitted the hydraulic clutch line for the 'Busa engine? What is the best route for the copper/nickle pipe and where do you recommend to terminate it for a flexible hose? Unless of course the copper/nickle pipe can run all the way? I assume not even though the engine is bolted solidly to the chassis.

Kind regards, Clive.

coozer

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Clive, are you starting a build diary? or have you enough to do??

Happy new year,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 4/1/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

I'm taking photos, keeping notes and receipts as I go along for the build diary for SVA (apparently it is very important to have comprehensive proof of a self build as I'm told a manufacturer was presenting professional build as self build and got caught so SVA are really hot on it)

I hadn't planned an online diary and am not sure if I have the wherewithall (software etc) to create one.

Yours, Clive.

zxrlocost

posted on 4/1/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
hi clive good luck with the build if you need any help u2u me

your right about the SVA I have numerous cars waiting now due to having to send pics and receipts

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

TimC

posted on 4/1/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I hadn't planned an online diary and am not sure if I have the wherewithall (software etc) to create one.

The blogspot site is so easy to use! If you can use this forum and a Word, you are well qualified to use it. Click my link and set your own up. There are 4 MNR builders using this system already - links on my page also.

Cheers

TC

Johneturbo

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
We need more pics Clive
i was also told to do a build diary for dvla.
i'm going to do a flick book style one, blink and you miss the build
i need to do an update with my photo archive, i had her running over xmas, which was a relief as the engine came from the usa

[Edited on 4/1/08 by Johneturbo]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Wow John, you're really shifting with your build! Have you got a day job?

Thanks Tim, I'll take a look at blogspot as you suggest!

Yours, Clive.

Johneturbo

posted on 6/1/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i do Clive i'm just good at being in 2 places at the same time
i've uploaded some more pics, but can't seem to upload them all.
but the build has come to a halt due to life threatening man flu!

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 10/1/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All, I've finally worked out how to post images. This is the chassis, upturned, with the brackets fitted to mount the undertray. Having made and fitted them I'm beginning to think they may be just the thing for fitting the transmission tunnel and rear diffuser!

[img][/img]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 10/1/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
And this is the bracket before bending to the curve of the chassis tube. They are made from 25mm anodised aluminium angle from B&Q. They are 60mm long. The outer two mounting holes are 10mm in from each end and 12.5 mm in from the side. The additional central mounting hole is 6mm from the edge. On the other face is the central pilot hole which will ultimately be drilled out to 12mm to take the rubber nut. I have left it at 3mm for the moment to take a Cleko fastner. The rubber nut expands as the aluminium bolt is tightened in it, holding evertthing in place. However, unlike rivnuts it retracts when losened and can then be removed.

[img][/img]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 10/1/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
And this is it curved and fitted to the chassis with Sikaflex and 3 x 3.5mm pop-rivets. It will ultimately be drilled out to 12mm for the rubber nut and M6 aluminium bolt.

[img][/img]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.