Other please specify

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Elise or VX220
Lightning

posted on 25/9/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hammerhead
What is that car on your avatar. That really looks great.

BTW the my Tiv was £6k and the reliability issue is codds on the Chimaera and Griffith as they are only Rover V8 powered. Insurance under £200 tax £180 but fuel.......oh boy!

Steve

Steve Morten

posted on 25/9/07 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've owned an Elise S2 from new for 5 years now and I never get bored with driving it and whenever I park it and walk away I always have to turn and look at it, cos it is such a gorgeous, sexy looking machine.
The K series engine from 2001 is not a problem with head caskets, mine has been perfect. I also have a k series in my Striker because I liked the engine is so much in the Lotus. I actually changed the head casket in the Striker engine before I put it in, and it is a very easy job, just use the land rover freelander casket and "head bolts".
In my mind you can't buy a car that you don't like the look of, that's why I will never buy a Porsche 911 they just remind me of a squashed VW beetle that they were based on. So for me the VX220 was never an option. It looks like a vauxhall and uses a heavy vauxhall engine. Perhaps if they hadn't put a V grill on the front and a Vauxhall badge on the back it might have sold better.
I test drove an S1 when I bought my S2 and I loved it, the S2 is just a little bit more refined in everything from the sound proofing to the handling.
Finally, Imagine it's a beautiful sunny day What would you rather say to your wife/girlfriend "let's go for a run in the Lotus" or "let's go for a run in the Vauxhall"

paulmw

posted on 25/9/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I ran a VX220 NA for 2 years as a company car. I loved the "what is it questions". Great handling and brilliant fun.

Also there was a great forum vx220.org.uk

Down side as an everyday car : heater doesnt work, it leaks and motorway cruising is LOUD

If I had the cash, I would buy another - Brilliant car

Fozzie

posted on 25/9/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Morten

Finally, Imagine it's a beautiful sunny day What would you rather say to your wife/girlfriend "let's go for a run in the Lotus" or "let's go for a run in the Vauxhall"

Nah you say 'lets go for a run in the VX'.....

It really is a case of which ever rocks ya boat! Thats why we don't all drive the same cars, be it tin-tops or 7's.....

BTW the VX's are very easy to de-badge and de-vee, we haven't de-vee'd, but have removed the griffin badge from the back..
.... it ruined the 'line'

Fozzie

Edit to add....

paulmw, you posted while I was replying....perhaps you were unlucky...or indeed we are lucky...as the heater worked very well to start, but having done a 'mod' is now roasting!

No leaks at all, either with the hard top or the soft top. We only took the soft top for our tour of Scotland, and we had rain...lots of it... and all was as dry as a bone...

Can't even imagine ever selling it!

We also belong to the vx220 forum, a great bunch of peeps they are!.....

[Edited on 25-9-07 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Paul G

posted on 25/9/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Having owned both I'd definitely say go for the vx. The heater issue can be easily fixed. Mine handled better, was faster, ten times more reliable, roof was loads better, and cost half of what the elise did in insurance and servicing. If the badge doesnt matter its the vx all the way
paulmw

posted on 25/9/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
It doesnt actually say Vauxhall anywhere on the car and who cares anyway as I always referred to it as the VX

To be fair though VXL fixed the leaking roof with some Turbo seals, the heater will always be poo.

Out of the 20+ cars I have owned only 2 have pride of place on my wall. My first car (1974 Jeans Beetle) and the silver VX - true praise indeed

[Edited on 25/9/07 by paulmw]

andrew-theasby

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know how an s2000 compares, hes now moving more towards that for the extra power. Cant see it being much more expensive to run and for tyres etc, just a little dearer to buy (and higher mileage)
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.