Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat recommendations
Humbug

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Seat recommendations

Thinking about some lighter weight/less bulky seats for my ST. I have currently got Westfield sports seats which are OK but a bit chunky. Possibilities for consideration include:

Shell seats (which ones? Triton, MK, Mac#1, ebay sellers? e.g. this one) which don't have padding... I must say I have always been a bit wary of putting my @rse on hard plastic for any length of time.

Westfield race seats which seem to have ready-fitted padding.

Lotus Elise seats - ready padded (somewhat), not sure about weight?

Any other ideas guys?

Cheers,

Simon

iank

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
binbag'n'foam racing seat - if you're the only driver? Cheapest, lightest and most comfortable. Can even be trimmed if look is important.

The shell seats are actually very comfortable if you get the correct width (too narrow or too wide are both bad).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yip way more comfy than they look, so completely supportive you have no pressure points like ordinary seats. Might be a good idea to pad behind your head though in the event of a shunt.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Also consider Intatrim Odysey seats. I have them in the Indy and they're really comfy. A GRP shell, properly trimmed and padded, but no excess weight...

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Also consider Intatrim Odysey seats. I have them in the Indy and they're really comfy. A GRP shell, properly trimmed and padded, but no excess weight...

Those look incredibly narrow though and not much side support. My MK ones just wrap round me which make them feel a lot safer in something like a side impact, especially since the sides are box sections.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Humbug,
If you can get to the Exeter Show you can try my seats for size, will have all on show on wee box things so you don't have to struggle about on the floor...If you have the right seat that fits you then you don't need padding as they are contoured and you become part of the car once strapped in so you can enjoy the drive more as you can feel what's going on sooner..... P.S My superlite seats weigh same as Carbon fibre ones at a fraction of the price, in fact you get two for less than the price of one carbon seat which to me as a bit of bargain really unless you are into carbon that is.

Cheers,
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

TOO BADD

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have an ST and had Intatrims in mine but sold them and bought a pair of Westerfield 'seconds' fibreglass shells. Far more supportive and quite comfortable as well
Humbug

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TOO BADD
I have an ST and had Intatrims in mine but sold them and bought a pair of Westerfield 'seconds' fibreglass shells. Far more supportive and quite comfortable as well

I also had those Intatrims oringally and I agree - they were too narrow and unsupportive.

Humbug

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Quick question having looked at Triton's website...

Has anyone got a highback seat for the driver and a lowback one for the passenger? 99.9% of the time I have no passenger so the headrest is just providing extra wind resistance, but I want to have some seat just in case I ever do need to take a passenger.

Anyone done it?

Opinions? (apart from the fact it would look slightly unbalanced when static)

or... do I really need a highback seat on the driver's side?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Quick question having looked at Triton's website...

Has anyone got a highback seat for the driver and a lowback one for the passenger? 99.9% of the time I have no passenger so the headrest is just providing extra wind resistance, but I want to have some seat just in case I ever do need to take a passenger.

Anyone done it?

Opinions? (apart from the fact it would look slightly unbalanced when static)

or... do I really need a highback seat on the driver's side?
what about using a large kart seat and then moulding a base similar to the MK ones onto it, perhaps over a carved foam mould.

Or maybe you could cut out the centre bit of the headrest and replace it with black netting?

coozer

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Triton low side varaint in mine and they are very comfortable indeed, and supportive.

I have taken a few different passengers for aride and every one has commented on how nice they are despite lookign at them and saying 'bet they hurt me arse'.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
what about this, looks not too bad really Rescued attachment 05c0_1.jpg
Rescued attachment 05c0_1.jpg

tomblyth

posted on 7/11/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at some alloy seat out of 3mm u2u me for details I'll be group buy to keep costs down
Triton

posted on 7/11/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have done a high back and a low back for folk who mainly drive the car on their tod as passenger seat just acts as a wind break really...if you had low side narrow seat it's the same size as the low back seat just one has a headrest the other doesn't...
Can also do the high side without the headrest if folk prefer..
If enough interest i may be persuaded to do the wide ones without headrest as well.

Cheers,
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

DarrenW

posted on 7/11/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Defo sit in some first. I have Mac#1 early seats which i think are Tritons. Some other makes are a bit narrow for me. Some dont seem to have enough room for shoulders. Mine are great.

I also had a pad set made which makes them more comfy. Supplier will probs still have the pattern.

Mark G

posted on 7/11/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Mr Humbug,
If you can get to the Exeter Show you can try my seats for size, will have all on show on wee box things so you don't have to struggle about on the floor...If you have the right seat that fits you then you don't need padding as they are contoured and you become part of the car once strapped in so you can enjoy the drive more as you can feel what's going on sooner..... P.S My superlite seats weigh same as Carbon fibre ones at a fraction of the price, in fact you get two for less than the price of one carbon seat which to me as a bit of bargain really unless you are into carbon that is.

Cheers,
Mark

Are you taking seats with you to sell or just taking orders?

I still want some of your seats but want to try them for size first.

RK

posted on 7/11/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
He actually says you can try them so he is probably going to have them. You guys are so lucky to be able to go to shows like that with so much stuff to drool over!! Maybe next year I'll make it over to one of them.
thepest

posted on 7/11/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Tritons seats work really well, I was thinking of padding them but with winter coming along the extra clothing takes care of that.

has anyone tried these guys:
LusoMotors

Their prices dont look bad at all!

RK

posted on 8/11/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
One more vote for Triton. Although, admittedly, I haven't actually driven very far yet, they put you to sleep when you are sitting in them still.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.