Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: computer q
dave1888

posted on 9/2/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
computer q

Ok all you computer people out there I have installed a new sata hdd into my computer and want to transfer the entire contents of my existing hdd over to it. Is there a prog or anything to help me do this. ( I have both hdd running on the same motherboard)
tr

posted on 9/2/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, you can use a program called Norton Ghost. It will produce a floppy disk for you, you boot from the floppy, tell it you're source drive, and your destination drive(no need for them to be the same size). Hit the go button and in no time at all you'll have 2 identical drives.

Tom

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 9/2/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Try Ghost from Norton.
I should have a copy of it somewhere if you need one.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Mk-Ninja

posted on 9/2/04 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Im a bit slow tonight. Need some sleep

ed_crouch

posted on 10/2/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
either that, or do a fresh OS install on the new disk, then copy everything across manually: its sloooow, but a good chance to chuck out some crap!

ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ed_crouch

posted on 10/2/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
either that, or do a fresh OS install on the new disk, then copy everything across manually: its sloooow, but a good chance to chuck out some crap!

ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

Mk-Ninja

posted on 10/2/04 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with just copying things across is you loose all the installed info/ registry etc.

Gordon

DaveFJ

posted on 10/2/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
On the other hand the good thing about copying accross is that you lose all the installed info/registry etc.......

As long as you are sure that you have backups of all data and the necessary disks to install all the software you want installed then it is often a good thing to wipe your computer and do a fresh install. The buzzword is 'computer senility' - over time any Windows operating system builds up junk and becomes less reliable. My personal advice is that any PC should be completely wiped and re-installed at least once every 2 years.

If you are going to copy across then Iwould suggest as above - Norton ghost or Powerquest drive image.

alternatively (depending on your personal level of knowledge) you could mirror the 2 disks then break the mirror and remove the original and wipe it.....not simple but you should be able to do it without the need for extra software.

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

ned

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
the mirroring idea is a good one. you can pick up a promise or adaptec ata ide raid card for £25-40 which might be cheaper than a legit version of ghost, then you have some backup/data integrity built into your system.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help guys I eventually used ghost "Clone" to transfer across done in 15mins. still having some bother though. In bios it shows i'm running a 1150 mhz cpu but i know it's a 1800mhz xp. it's still alot quicker that before
Viper

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Before anyone jumps on me...I am no computer dude..
your proccessor, would it be an AMD 1800XP?

dave1888

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah sorry i should have said
Viper

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
that would be why then...
the xp chips are not named like Intel chips.
an intel pentium 2000 runs at 2000
an XP2000 is actualy an 1800 but performs the same as the pentium 2000, supposedly...i think i have explained that right..
Tim.

Staple balls

posted on 10/2/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
if you go into your bios at boot

it's normally a matter of pressing delete or F1 around the time it beeps.

somewhere in there (depending on how it's set out) there should be an option to set your cpu speed etc, choose auto (or manually input the info if you know it)

then save and exit etc.

with some motherboards, if they lose poper while booting, they assume something's knackered and start at a lower speed, but show what it should be in the bios, in this case save and exit should sort it.

edit: doh, what they've said above is true, i'm just used to working in speeds, not PR ratings

[Edited on 10/2/04 by Staple balls]

thebutler

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Check whether your mobo is set to 133Mhz front side bus. The XP1800 runs a 11.5 multiplier. (the core runs at 11.5 times the FSB).

When the XP1800 has a 133MHz bus speed then the core is at 1500mhz, with 100MHz bus speed the core is 1150MHz.

Cheers,

Steve

dave1888

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think you hit the nail ive set the clock speed to auto i'll try changing it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.