Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Please recommend me a cheap speedometer
bigbravedave

posted on 7/5/09 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Please recommend me a cheap speedometer

Can anyone recommend me a cheap speedometer, my car is fitted with one however with the std sierra wheel fitted it just obscures visibility to one edge, with a small momo wheel fitted it just obscures visibility to the other edge.

as I've CNC'd a carbon dash out, moving it isn’t really an option so can anyone recommend a speedometer that I can fit in a panel between the dash and tunnel to get through SVA, preferably not a bicycle one!

02GF74

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
how cheap is cheap?

rally design do one, electronic speedo so is adjustable but IMPO looks a bit nasty.

I looked into this and the cheapest non nasty one is a racetech, still around £ 120 or so.

you also need to budget for a sender, about £ 30 unless you can make your own.

an alternative is to thake the sierra instrument pod and cut it up - and place in you pod behing perspex.

that ofcourse depends on how much circuitry is interrupted by the chop; most of it I owuld guess would be ribbon cab;e that you could join up.

there are loads of dahses on ebay with electronic speedo - I lloked into this option to fit a speedo in to a instrumnet case i.e. 80- mm but mose faces are larger than that.

I am sure this is possible, hard bit is knowing which instrument pod to use.

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
these guys do some stuff link

They have senders for less than £20.

lots of this depends on taste. I went with a bike speedo, but IVA doesn't support them. I wouldn't recommend my route.

Matt

blakep82

posted on 7/5/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
i've got the RMD one from rally design, and its actually quite nice, its made by caerbont who make smiths guages. its identical to the smiths guages one, and a lot cheaper

the problem with the RMD guage, and the reason why 02gf74 says he thinks they look nasty (i think he means the rmd one anyway) is becase they don't have a photo of it on the site, but a pretty poor drawing.

its £80 +vat for the 80mm guage anyway. thats only £1 per mm! black or white face, i'll get a photo of mine if you want?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.