Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Hydraulic Clutch
Chris_R

posted on 4/3/04 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Hydraulic Clutch

I have recently started work on my build but have yet to start the chassis, the reason being that I need to find out how much I need to lengthen the cockpit by. Before I can start I need to determine the dimensions of the pedal box, which I would like to fabricate myself. I have decided on a floor mounted box and would like to use a hydraulic clutch. Does anyone know how this would be done with a Type 9 box?

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

[Edited on 4/3/04 by Chris_R]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/3/04 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not that I have done it, but with correctly chosen master and slave diameters to give suficient throw, and a suitable strong bracket attached to the bellhousing bolts, it should be relatively simple

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

cosworth

posted on 4/3/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
You replace the clutch release arm carrier on the front of the box with a bolt on hydraulic unit £65.79 plus VAT for the clutch release unit and £30.40 plus VAT for the adaptor from info@shawspeed.com
Chris_R

posted on 4/3/04 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help. Think I'll prolly go for the fabricate a bracket route. Does anyone know of a source of suitable slave cylinders, specifically make and model?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Friberg

posted on 5/3/04 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I know that SBD Motorstport sells the Saab 900 slave cylinder (MY 79-93) to their bell houses for using a Ford gearbox to a GM engine so that should work fine.
dozracing

posted on 5/3/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
The saab slave cylinder route is very easily done and much better packaged, so you can move the engine/box rearward in the chassis.

Email me offlist and i'll help you with all the components required.

darren@gtstuning.co.uk

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Chris_R

posted on 6/3/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
thank all for you ideas, big help.
ned

posted on 8/3/04 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I bought an old type 9 box off ebay for its hydraulic slave cylinder. turned out to be a tilton one i think:

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking at slave cylinders and the Rover 600 (Honda powered versions) has a cylinder the should bolt on without much trouble --- no as satisfactory as the Saab route but easier as it all on the outside --- same source looks good for a master cyliner and resevoir.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.