Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR1100 Clutch
m8kwr

posted on 3/7/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 Clutch

Sorry if this may seem a dumb question. I have took a brave move by buying a bike engine, as never seen one before, and never even been in a car with one in.....

So I have brought a ZZR1100 engine, I have not had chance to really look over the engine, but all i did was give it a once over, going there is the gear selector, that where the fuel must go in etc.

The one think i could not find was the clutch. I was expecting a cable. A bit of investigation today, and i believe it is hydraulic.... Is this correct? If so I would need an hydraulic clutch pedal box, and a Reservoir etc.

Is there anything anyone can think of i would need to do to the engine before i put it into the chassis.

I hear people change the clutch (so you can feel it more, or have more control), and again if i can remember this, some bikes have an tilt thing, which again some people glue open to prevent the bike cutting out???

thanks.

Minicooper

posted on 3/7/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's hydraulic on the zzr1100, it has a hydraulic cylinder mounted to the sprocket cover

Cheers
David

GBaggott

posted on 3/7/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
You need to modify the spocket housing to suit the output flange and propshaft.

Maybe also re-mount the magnet pick up on the wiring loom if its the same as the zzr1400.
It needs to see 4 magnets per rev and is mounted nearly in the middle of the sprocket cover.

Guinness

posted on 3/7/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi! Welcome to the madhouse of the BOKEOC (Big old Kwak Engine Owners Club)!

Yes the ZZR1100 clutch is hydraulic. You should have a steel push rod sticking out of the block, near the sproket / oil level window. (If it is missing, let me know and I'll send you my spare!).

You'll need the sproket cover, which has the clutch slave cylinder integrated into it. If you are going front engined / rwd with a propshaft, you can do what I did, which was to cut a circle out of the sprocket cover and use the standard clutch slave.

Rear engined / RWD / chain drive, just use the standard sprocket cover.

I initially used the bikes standard clutch lever, complete with integral reservoir, which I connected to the pedal via a cable. It worked brilliantly, and gave great pedal movement, but I snapped dozens of cables!!

So about a year ago, I changed to a Wilwood master cylinder with integral reservoir, mounted to the bulkhead. That's been loads more reliable but is now more of an on / off switch, without any where near as much feel.

I had some issues with clutch slip when I first installed the engine, which I thought might be down to the pedal arrangement / set up. Changed the plates for new Kwak ones, and fitted a set of EBC / Barnet springs and it's been fine ever since!

The ZZR loom has three safety interlinks, a clutch switch, side stand switch and a neutral switch. You'll need to make sure these are all wired to the "safe" position, otherwise it won't start. There is no tilt sensor on any of the Zed's that I've seen.

If you need any other half thought out advice, let me know!

Cheers

Mike

m8kwr

posted on 3/7/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for all the information, and i am sure there will be plenty of more question coming in the near future...

The engine is to be used in mid engine arragement, so i am using a chain drive.

So glad that causes less modification.

I do not have a steel rod, i did see this in the haynes manual though, but never could find it on the engine itself.

It probably best if i post some pictures of what i have, and then work out a parts list from there.

A bit confused by the clutch lever, not used to bikes, so hopefully that would explain why.

If i got a pedal box, with a hydraulic clutch, is it just the case of plumbing the clutch up similar to your braking system, so it has its own reservoir, or am i just been dense.

I was going to change some bits on the engine, and may give it to someone for a general service. Is the clutch easy to do yourself, or best leaving it to someone else???

Many thanks for all your advise/help, the more i use this forum the better i feel about building a car, i am not on my own

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.