Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra 7inch diff 4.4
greenwood03

posted on 15/12/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
sierra 7inch diff 4.4

hi am after a 7inch sierra diff, looking for a ratio around 4.4, currently got a 3.92 lsd bolt on d/shaft fitted - looking for a sensibly priced second hand unit - chrs mark
mcerd1

posted on 16/12/09 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
the only stock ones near that ratio are 7.5" diffs found in the 2l 8v & 16v ugly scorpios (4.1 and 4.44)

3.92 is the lowest stock ratio for a 7" diff

other than that your talking about an aftermarket crown wheel and pinion set - not common or cheap

linky (I've lost the link to the folk who actually make those)

[Edited on 16/12/09 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 16/12/09 by mcerd1]

-

bj928

posted on 16/12/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
not sure if the american solid 7.5 axle uses the same diff crown wheel and pinion as the british IRS 7.5 (granada/sierra) but here are some low ratios and cheap.

4.56:1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Richmond-6903201-Ring-and-Pinion-4-56-1-Ratio-Ford-7-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad5905040QQitemZ390130061376QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

4.10:1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-5-Ford-4-10-ring-pinion-gears_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a5530afcQQitemZ230406949628QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

they don't seem to do a 4.4:1

greenwood03

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
thx guys. I knew that 4.4 ( or thereabouts ) wouldnt come out of a standard sierra, just thought that perhaps by some miracle someone might have a modded one lying around that they might want to sell. I dont know how easy/hard or possible it would be to swap out the 7 inch diff and replace with the 7.5. given that i'm not mechanically minded and would need garage assistance - i'd suspect that any potential saving in going that route would be offset by the labour costs. am not 100% convinced that i'll be able to live with that type of ratio on the road, hence would have been ideal to find a direct replacement to try, if after a few runs its apparent that i cant live with it - pop the old one back in.......once again thx
mcerd1

posted on 17/12/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
if the 7.5" diff will fit your chassis and youve got bolt-on driveshafts at the moment, then the 4.44 or 4.1 scorpio diffs would be amost a strait swap (none are LSD as standard )

they have the same 100mm CV joints as the normal sierra bolt-on ones - so you can use the same driveshafts

and if you like the ratio you can build an LSD by swapping it into a cossie 2wd diff (the sierra ones have 108mm CV's, early granada cossies have 100mm ones, but I think you can swap the flanges...)

the 7.5 is a bit bigger/wider - but lots of chassis are designed to fit either (don't know about yours though)

-

greenwood03

posted on 17/12/09 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
thx for this, seems a bit of research needed into whether it'd be easy to adapt, i dont know of any other owners that havem but then, i dont know any other tigers that are wanting to run a 4.4!
HOL

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,
The 2wd Cosworth used a 7.5in diff case, unlike the 4x4 which used the 7in case.

As your car uses the whole sierra rear, you might be able to find a cage that you can bolt a 4.4 diff and the rest of your existing kit.

just a thought!

mcerd1

posted on 18/12/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
is yours one of those that uses the sierra beam to mount the diff ?

if it is you can get a 7.5" beam for a sierra fairly easily (as above the 2wd cossie's have them, but so do loads of later sierra's)

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.